Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throwing some love at the TERRA map

I just love it !

It's just the best way to customize a game. I played on a normal map with everything normal except it was TERRA and there was 6 of us - we all started on the same continent leaving rougly two continents (America) and a few islands attached to the main continentt (Oceania) to discover and colonize. I just love this feature because it crams all the participants on the same continent (I only have 4 cities until I could reach «America» with galleons where I started colonizing). I was surprised to see full fledged barbarian cities on the continent (11 in groth size) scathered here and there. It made the challenge even more difficult.

«Vive le Québec libre» - Charles de Gaulle

Comment

What were the barbs tech-wise (in their units)?
      On another thread they were wondering if they progress beyond archers and chariots.

I'll have to try out that Terra.

Comment

ooh, yes... I too would like to know how those "American" barbs have done tech wise....

...I've only played the early game so far for a couple hours on a normal continents map, and I'm contending with a settled barb. civ. ('Visigoths') that are actually a little tough for me now, since I have much much better culture but no stronger military units...

Comment

Re: Throwing some love at the TERRA map

Originally posted by Niptium
          I was surprised to see full fledged barbarian cities on the continent (11 in groth size) scathered here and there. It made the challenge even more difficult.
          I almost fell out of my seat when a barb TOOK my city! I don't mean plundered and left, they settled in and started growing!

I had to actually TAKE it back. You simply MUST keep a warrior in each city... no question about it anymore.

Tom P.

Comment

So much enthusiasm over civ 1 features.

Comment

@ dearmad.

Usually I avoid Terra maps... but this sounds like it might be fun. Maybe for game 2...
              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

My first two games were on Terra maps and its obvious Firaxis listening to the complaining about "unrealistic random" maps over the years.

Terra maps are great
                *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Hell yeah. I friggen love this map generator. Discovering the new world is one of the most satisfying Civ experiences I've had in a long time. The Barbarians are a realistic consideration over there too - seeing their cities building improvements with roads.... just amazing.

I am totaly impressed. I've been waiting 10 years for a feature like this. Well done Firaxis!!
                  I keep a record of all my civ games here.

aÅ¡tassi kammu naklu Å¡a Å¡umeri ṣullulu akkadû ana Å¡utēÅ¡uri aÅ¡ṭu
                  "I am able to read texts so sophisticated that the Sumerian is obscure and the Akkadian hard to explain" (King Assurbanipal of Assyria 7th century BC)

Comment

I loved the earth map in Civ 1. You just couldn't get huge landmasses like that out of the random generator.
                    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                    H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by dearmad
                      So much enthusiasm over civ 1 features.
                      Heck yeah. Some of the things Sid did originally were already peak, and "improving" them just pushed them down the hill. Not that everything from Civ1 was an unqualified success, but much of it was!

Back to the future. Civ rides again!

- Sirian

Comment

Originally posted by conmcb25
                        My first two games were on Terra maps and its obvious Firaxis listening to the complaining about "unrealistic random" maps over the years.

Terra maps are great

This sounds good.

One of my gripes after playing Civ 3 for so long, was I eventually got tired of restarting a random map generation over and over because the generated map was so crappy (having mostly mountains or desert or some other unreasonable terrain pattern).
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                          What were the barbs tech-wise (in their units)?
                          On another thread they were wondering if they progress beyond archers and chariots.

I'll have to try out that Terra.
                          There was screenshot over at CivFanatics about that. The Barbs had Riflemen, and had built a Wonder of all things. Once again the Barbs will be a force to be reckoned with. Lovely!

Oh sorry, it was Makahlua's barbarian thread here at Poly.
                          Last edited by Willem; October 28, 2005, 22:51.

Comment

Well the cities I discovered were clearly there at the beginning (no city captured by the barbarians, but really founded by an aboriginal barbarians - just like amerindians-) it was 11 in size and had towns and mines all over the place and buildings...
                            «Vive le Québec libre» - Charles de Gaulle

Comment

I love this idea! Ive always wanted to play civ this way, and randomly generated too
                              Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Working...
                              X