Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

for people who have installed DirectX 9c from the CD and updated their driver to 5.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the dx3_36.dll only for those with Radeon cards? I have an NVidia and do not have that file in windows folder.

ap

Comment

Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis
      I assume everyone has this file ‘d3dx9_26.dll’ in your C:\windows\SYSTEM32 folder, right?
      I didn't. I have a shiny new (under a month old) emachines box that came with Media Center Edition and DirectX 9.0c pre-installed. Installed a shiny new video card and Catalyst 5.10, and still had no d3dx9_26.dll.

Found it and installed it, and now NOTHING AT ALL HAPPENS when I double-click Civ4. Well, that's not quite fair. According to a process monitor, the Civ4 executable starts up and stays running for probably a quarter-second.

No logs, no errors, no .ini file, no nothing. Oh, color me impressed. Very thorough error-checking, that.

Comment

Re: for people who have installed DirectX 9c from the CD and updated their driver to 5.10

Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis
        do you have this file ‘d3dx9_26.dll’ in your C:\windows\SYSTEM32 folder?
        No, I do not. And I know Civ4 needs this to run because it gives me the "I can't find this file" error on startup (I have DirectX 9.0c already and no ATI drivers). I'm no geek, but I've researched the problem enough to figure out that it is a DirectX file that somehow wasn't included in some peoples 9.0c due to Microsoft changing the .lib to .dll, or something. Now, XP isn't certifying that part of the DirectX installation when I install the game as it tells me "a cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted". Even when I try to install just the d3dx9 files seperately they give me the same error. Any thoughts?

Comment

Run the DirectX file from the CD

It does indeed contain a file that is not in the DirectX9.0c one. It's an update MS has not released yet.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Yes, I tried that, and when I did it gave me cabinet error above.

Comment

radeon 7500

hi, I have radeon 7500 (built by ati, 64mb, desktop version rv200 - no mobility, yes it does support T&L), with Catalyst 5.10 drivers, running windows 2000 sp4. Is there any solution to problems with black terrain:

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

when i reveal some map it is looking like this:

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

Another problem with ocean: black

or when I move the screen

and finaly leader faces are invisible (i can see only eyes, mouth), i can't take screenshots, don't know why

plz HELP ME!

Comment

All I get is the loading screen, and then this:

An unhandled win32 exception occurred in Civlization4.exe [3980]. Just-In-Time debugging this exception failed with the following error: No installed debugger has Just-In-Time debugging enabled. In Visual Studio, Just-In_time debugging can be enabled from Tools/Options/Debugging/Just-In-Time.
                Check the documentation index for 'Just-in-time debugging, errors' for more information.
                The number, 3980, differs between tries.

This happens immediately, since the My Games folder was not even created. Hence no log. I only have Visual Studio Express so no debugging info either.

System:

AMD XP 1800+
                256 MB RAM
                Radeon 8500 Family (Hercules 64MB 3D Prophet)
                Creative SB Live
                IIyama A902MT VisionMaster Pro
                Windows XP Home

Latest drivers installed, directX files installed from DVD, art file unpacked, even created a new user - nothing helped.

The intro movie runs fine by itself as do all other movies and sounds.

Dxdiag gives a single warning:
                The file d3d9d.dll is a debug version, which will run slower than the retail version.
                Edit: There is no version of this file on the DVD.
                Last edited by Ribannah; October 30, 2005, 13:49.
                A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
                Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

How big should Civ4 be after installing?
                  Just now I got one with 2165 MB, where before it installed as 1400+ MB.

Edit: never mind. The art was still in two places.
                  Last edited by Ribannah; October 30, 2005, 13:33.
                  A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...

Comment

Originally posted by Prole
                    *snip*

Anyone else think the DirectX installer screwed them up? Or am I the only one grasping at this straw?

Heck no, you are'nt....I for one, KNOW the DXinstaller is fuc*ed up....Every single time I try to install DirectX from the Civ4 disc, it crashes saying "A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted"...

Every. Single. Time...

This is just. Wrong.

Apolyton should upload a new, unbroken version of the installer, and soon....C'mon, guys, we need that installer to work properly.

Comment

Good news: the game runs on my newly created extra system user.

It still won't run on my primary user though, not even after copying the My Games folder. So for now I am restricted to single-player.

The error, apparently, is that somehow the My Documents folder of my primary user cannot be found.

That should be easy to patch, right ...?

Comment

Originally posted by Cartman

Heck no, you are'nt....I for one, KNOW the DXinstaller is fuc*ed up....Every single time I try to install DirectX from the Civ4 disc, it crashes saying "A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted"...

Every. Single. Time...

This is just. Wrong.

Apolyton should upload a new, unbroken version of the installer, and soon....C'mon, guys, we need that installer to work properly.
                        Actually, it might be a problem with Windows and its way of authenticating a couple of cabinet files in the DirectX installation. Here is a site that offers some help, but not a proven solution to get the authencation running again (I think XP only?). I got my copy of civIV just by downloading from some random website the actual file needed for the game to run, which is "d3dx9_26.dll", in case you were wondering, and then sticking it in the appriopriate folder, which is C:/WINDOWS/system32. Try going through what that guy suggests before taking it from somewhere as it might be better to have a real installation than just a copy and paste job.

Comment

Working...
                        X