Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

for people who have installed DirectX 9c from the CD and updated their driver to 5.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking about others had mentioned about packaging issues and reverting DirectX...

I plan to try this after work - but if some brave soul wishes to give it a shot and let us know, has anyone tried this:

download, software, update, Microsoft, product, computer, PC, Windows, Office, server, MSN, Live, game, Xbox, security, driver, install, trial, preview, demo, popular

Comment

From reading alot of the other boards it seems everyone with a x800 card cannot play this game. I, of course, am also one of these poor souls with a x800. I have tried all possible fixes listed here and elsewhere, and even went as far as to do a drive format and fresh windows xp install, still no luck. At this point I have wasted enough of my time on this, I give up. Good luck to you all.

Comment

Originally posted by warlordship
        Yeah, got the file. Yeah, installed the new driver. Yeah, it's 6.14.0010.6575.

and btw, timekillr, that is not today's timestamp. It's 05, or May 26th. The day's right, just off by a few months.

If it's any consolation, my file "d3dx9_26.dll" is also stamped for May 26th.

Got an X800 Pro vid card, if that helps (I know it's also in my diag.
        Heh, true. My mistake

Doesn't change the fact that it still refuses to work....

Comment

Re: for people who have installed DirectX 9c from the CD and updated their driver to 5.10

Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis
          do you have this file ‘d3dx9_26.dll’ in your C:\windows\SYSTEM32 folder?
          I do have this file and yes I rebooted after everything installed

The file was created on OCT 27,2005, Modified on MAY 25,2005 and last accessed on OCT 27,2005

EDITED: To add a link to my DxDiag file

Last edited by Rheassi; October 27, 2005, 10:57.

Comment

Where do you get the tool to revert DirectX back to 8.1?
            Because I have an ATI Radeon 9550, unistalled drivers, reinstalled new 5.10 from site.. updated from disc and can't get it to work.. I even went thru most of the old Catalyst versions hoping to find the one they used to test it with.. no luck so far.. went as far back as 4.9

Comment

I also just tried reverting back to 8.1 .. it still failed to render..

Comment

dxdiag reports 8.1? that's weird, then. i tried basically everything else and nothing worked except dx 8.1. i've played for about 2 hours and had no problems

sounds like a ***** of a problem. this is the specific tool i used:

This uninstaller uses your original XP or .NET CD to restore your original DirectX 8 files. Abandoned since 2003....

Comment

It really seems to be a faulty CD issue, with the DirectX portion of it *or the installer* not working correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by One_Mean_Rabbit
                    It really seems to be a faulty CD issue, with the DirectX portion of it *or the installer* not working correctly.
                    I can't get any version of directx 9.0c - this one, the raw 9.0c from fileshack, or the SDK one PBN mentioned - to overwrite anything. I wish I knew what it looked at to see whether it needs to overwrite filesl I've tried reverting to 8.1, and I've tried hacking the registry. My next idea is to go search for every file mentioned in dxdiag and rename them all whatever.dll.bak, see if that fools it.

Comment

I now have it working on my second machine. They have the same video card and the weird part is I can not figure out why one is working and the other is not.

The second machine is using the Catalyst version 5.1 and it did update the Direct X from the CD correctly when I installed it.

I had to do nothing to the second machine to get it to work. It just loaded right up after installation.

Makes no sense.

EDIT: edited to add the 2 DxDiag

First machine that does NOT work:

Second machine that does work:

Last edited by Rheassi; October 27, 2005, 13:01.

Comment

Well, I'm not too surprised that similar machines had different results. It sounds like on the second computer the installer worked properly, so the game works. My 1st run through the DirectX installer crashed and had to close itself. The other times through, as I've re-installed to test fixes, it hasn't run at all. When I manually run the DirectX installer, it acts like it's going to copy files, then jumps to complete; it's like the code broke at that point & it just skips ahead to the completion phase. I find it hard to believe it updated much, because most of my DirectX files are time stamped in 2004. One has an 8/26/05 date.

Anyone else think the DirectX installer screwed them up? Or am I the only one grasping at this straw?

Comment

well, as i said, i was running 8.1 and then updated using the civ4 disc. afterwards dxdiag reported that i was running 9.0c but that doesn't necessarily mean everything copied. under the files section there's nothing dated later than 2004.. so that could be clue. i do have that .dll file in the system32 directory so it'd have to be other files that would be causing the issue.. how many files are dated 2005+ on a proper updated from the civ4 disc?

Comment

Rheassi, Hopefully somone at Firaxis can compare the two files and identify the problem. Hopefully they are still patroling these boards.

Comment

Working

Mine is now working. I have a Radeon 9800 Pro (256MB) card and when I first installed it, I couldn't see the into video, the menu buttons, and it kept dropping to the desktop randomly. Here is what I did:

just a recap of what i said in the other thread, in case it might help diagnose the problem:

1. I installed DX 9 and Civ 4 from the disc and tried running. Didn't work, got the symptoms above.

2. I uninstalled my existing ATI drivers and then I updated my driver to 5.10 and tried running again. Still didn't work...it would just drop back to the desktop.

3. I then updated DX off the disc again after updating my driver. After doing this, it worked perfectly. I played for a few hours last night with no probs.

Hope that this works for some others at least as the game is awesome. Good luck.

-Rick
                              -Rick

Comment

Interesting, just looked at your DX Diag "txt-outs" and I notice that in the one for the Craig machine (does not work) there all sorts of Registry errors in the display device device section. The Steph machine (does work) does not have these errors. I'll have to look into what these keys actually do but I think it is worth pointing out now in case someone more technical than me can grasp their meaning more quickly.

Steve
                                I do not live in London, I live in South London. South London is different, a warm melting pot where everyone can become a bona fide South Londoner by virtue of two things. One: living in South London, and two: having no aspiration to live in the Cotswolds.

Mark Thomas

Comment

Working...
                                X