X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.N. Resolutions

From CivFanatics
    http://civfanatics.com/civ4/preview/filling_the_gap.php

* Single Currency - Adopting this resolution successfully increases trade and commerce. Every city in the world will receive an extra trade route.
    * Free Trade - Free Trade removes all trading restrictions in the world between all Civilizations. It basically functions as if all Civilizations have open borders - No matter what their real diplomatic relationship may be.
    * Nuclear Non-Proliferation - As Thunderfall's article has mentioned already, adopting this means that no nukes may be built, however existing nuclear weapons are not destroyed. Note that if this resolution passes before any nuke is built in the world, it means that the game itself will proceed without nukes appearing. This may be a benefit to you if you're playing against aggressive Civilizations.
    * Universal Suffrage - All Civilization's civics are changed to Universal Suffrage (+1 Hammer from Town; Can spend gold to finish production) no matter if they have the required technology for that specific Civic (this counts for all UN Resolutions relating to Civics).
    * Free Speech - All Civilizations adopt the Free Speech Civic (100% culture in all cities; +2 gold from Town).
    * Emancipation - All Civilizations switch to the Emancipation Civic ((100% Growth for Cottage, Hamlet, Village; Unhappiness for civs without that civic).
    * Environmentalism - All Civilizations adopt the Environmentalism Civic ((+6 health in all cities; +1 happiness from jungle, forest)
    * And finally, Free Religion - All Civilizations Adopt this Civic (No non-state religion spread; +1 happiness per non-state religion in a city, +10% science in all cities)
    Do alot of these resolutions seem pretty useless or what? For instance, I can't think of too many advantages of forcing other civs to adopt a particular civic (other than diplomatic bonuses towards you, but also towards and among everyone else).
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

I don't like the idea of the UN in Civ4

once it is built, membership is mandatory

fascist UN

although the Single Currency and Free Trade resolutions seem good

I wonder if you can mod out the other resolutions
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Or change them, let's make everyone use slavery and police state.
      "Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip." - Said by me

Comment

I can't speak too much on this subject since I don't know what information about civics has already been released, but let me assure you that some of those switches can be QUITE decisive.

A player fully manipulating Police State would be screaming in agony at a forced move to Universal Suffrage.

Ditto a player using an aggressive State Property empire when switched to Environmentalism.

A Caste-User forced to Emancipation might also be quite unhappy with the move, as might a Theologist.

Control of the UN can be quite important...

And uh... Non-Proliferation Treaty? Can you say "Spaceship Builder's Dream?"
        Friedrich Psitalon
        Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
        Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
          I can't speak too much on this subject since I don't know what information about civics has already been released, but let me assure you that some of those switches can be QUITE decisive.

A player fully manipulating Police State would be screaming in agony at a forced move to Universal Suffrage.

Ditto a player using an aggressive State Property empire when switched to Environmentalism.

A Caste-User forced to Emancipation might also be quite unhappy with the move, as might a Theologist.

Control of the UN can be quite important...

And uh... Non-Proliferation Treaty? Can you say "Spaceship Builder's Dream?"

It's quite obvious what your stance on all this peacefull UN stuff is, FP

DeepO

Comment

It's a defender's dream - personally, I always make sure to build it so I can at least have a shot at deciding what the vote will be, or I make sure to burn the city to the ground after the Secretary General is elected and before the first vote... usually with a nuke or two to make my point.
            Friedrich Psitalon

Comment

any comments on how many of your games actually take long enough to build the UN?

DeepO

Comment

Actually, contrary to popular belief, my main strategy is not always "destroy everyone who gets in my way." The problem is that sometimes when I play MP, I don't have all night to play to the turn/time limit.... so I have to squish someone and get a large enough score to make a point.

When I'm playing a nice long SP game, I often concentrate on building, so that I can make those same decisions reflexively and without extra thought/effort when playing MP, and concentrate on what my opponents may be trying to do that I can foil. Builder training, if you will.

THAT is a real tip.
                Friedrich Psitalon

Comment

I would like to mod the UN Resolutions by letting leaders talk to each other about pending resolutions... I built the UN, won the Secretariat election, proposed no-Nukes (silly me), and then through diplomacy screens tried "to talk about something different" thinking UN Resolution XYZ would pop up as something to banter about. No go. Maybe they needed greater technologies (Radio?) to talk about pending UN resolutions?
                  XP SP2; 1280MB w/3200MB virtual memory
                  AMD Athlon 1700+; 500W power, 2HD's
                  Radeon 9600pro 256MB (Dec 2005 Catalyst)
                  SoundBlaster X-Fi (8.8.05 driver)

Comment

Originally posted by Spocko
                    I would like to mod the UN Resolutions by letting leaders talk to each other about pending resolutions...
                    Me too. That was one of my favorite parts of SMAC, the political wrangling to get your pet proposal accepted (or another's rejected!) on the Planetary Council. The AI seems much smarter in CIV than it was in SMAC, so I have to wonder how hard this would be to put into the game. I may have to learn a skill which is actually useful in order to do this!

Comment

Yeah, nothing cyncial about the U.N resolutions. But I doubt it would be "United Nations" if slavery was passed. its one people benefiting from another.

If you don't want AIs using nukes, the U.N is pretty good. EVERYONE WILL VOTE YES. lol

Comment

EVERYONE WILL VOTE YES.
                        Lol and some say AI is smarter.
                        -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                        -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I found the UN implementation to be pretty tacked on, just a blue box with buttons on it popping up every few turns and its effects.

Someone will have my vote for mod of the year if they can add some functionality and flexibility to it.

I'd like to be able to ignore the UN resolutions by going against them, with the expected consequences from UN members

I'd like to be able to bully lesser members or non-members with sanctions, embargoes, arbitrary rules with the full approval of UN

I'd like to be able to turn off the UN as a feature entirely

Comment

Be careful - I lost a game by diplo victory, even though I was the one who built the UN (mostly as a defensive measure based on the old CIV III rules, I had planned to not hold UN elections. However, a rival AI (the one I was in the space race against) won secratary general and started proposing things. The first couple were civics choices, which I supported, since that's what I was already using at the time.

The next election was to award diplo victory, and the AI won, with only me voting for me, and all the other AI's except the smallest one abstaining.

Comment

What I found to be very unhonorable tactic with the U.N. is to become Secretary and then vote for No Building of Nukes, meanwhile I already have like 15 or so and the AI has none whatsoever (as far as I could tell).

Then go ahead and use the nukes.. hehe.. cause it was 'building' nukes not using them. Though I had used all of the nukes I had and was unable to build anymore, so being the Secretary... I just did a re-vote on the nukes resolution but voted NO... and since I had enough votes now to make sure it wouldnt pass... I was able to again to build nukes, and once I had enough I just resubmitted the No-Nukes resolution and voted YES.

I was in complete control of who could have nukes, that being me, over the AI... muhahahaha

Anyways...

I would love to see a U.N. mod, with some very cool options and resolutions. Does anyone know where this is located in the XML??

Comment

Working...
                              X