Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else think they should've used the Black & White Engine in Civ4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else think they should've used the Black & White Engine in Civ4?

Yin, what do you think?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Nah, I prefer colored games
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

No, but they should use one in Vista. Perhaps so they can avoid the teletubbieland look of XP on release.

Comment

you mean Black and White 2

Comment

No, The B&W2 (or B&W1) engine is not suitable.

but..

WoW engine or Oblivion + Civ = :drool:

I don't want Civ Chess board, I want Immersive Civness. Who remembers that Simpsons episode of Lisa putting on the VR glasses and she finds herself in the middle of a Genghis Khan battle? That's what I'm talking about!
          be free

Comment

No, definitely not what Oblivion runs on
            Much as I love ES games the 3D engines they run on are horrible.

(don't they both run on heavily modified gamebryos anyway?)

Comment

Well, I don't know a lot about Oblivion, but I'm sure WoW is suitable.

Can you imagine your little tribal village nestled in the Tauren lands? (I forget the names, been 1 year)

And can you also imagine a 10,000 man army running down that hill from the desert, towards your pathetic little village?

I can. But that's the problem, I can ONLY imagine.
              be free

Comment

Hmmm, that's a great question. I played BW1 and am impressed with the BW2 screens. I think what impresses me most there is the feeling of scale and height of mountains, etc. Another engine like this is the Heroes of Might and Magic 5 engine.

This, of course, begins to push Civ toward a kind of first-person perspective, which is something we've debated before. I suppose as long as you could zoom way out like you can in Civ4, this approach might be kind of fun. In fact, why not keep the battle sequences like you have them in HoMM? Or why not have Great Leaders with adaptive AI like you have in BW.

Imagine smacking Ceaser upside the head when he razes that village!
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Licensing a new engine costs a lot of money and additionally requires work to get known to.
                  They already licensed and used the Gamebryo engine, so that required them less work on graphics and more work towards the game-mechanics.

Since Civilization was never really about eye-candy, I think that's a good descision. Also check out the poll on the firaxis website.
                  4. Graphics or Gameplay?
                  2% It’s gotta be pretty
                  50% Balance is the key
                  48% Who cares about graphics?

Comment

Nah, I think there's always a better engine to think of, but this one suits the game just fine.

I really liked the engine for Pirates and I think it will work very well for Civ IV.

Comment

Who was it that said like 6 years ago that Civ3 should've used the B&W engine? I made fun of him for a while.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

B&W2 goes Civ4? I think not.
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Civ IV doesn't really need a blistering graphics engine. Additionally, Firaxis is already using a different engine, and I'm not sure if Lionhead is even licensing their B&W engine.

Comment

Re: Does anyone else think they should've used the Black & White Engine in Civ4?

No. I don't think it would work at all, although maybe if they did use it, they could implement terrain elevation to give still more depth to combat.
                            XBox Live: VovanSim
                            xbox.com (login required)
                            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                            Spore page

Comment

I dunno about the B&W engine... I have never played the game...

but that game is not a TBS game, I don't see how it would be good for Civ4
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X