can u stop foreign missionaries ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can u stop foreign missionaries ?

i want to know if u can stop missionaries of other civilizations friend or foe to enter your borders and spread their religion.

Yes, though you a civic for that. What was it "Theocracy"?
    Or alternatively, you can close your borders (do closed borders stop missionaries? I think they do.).
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I will probably close borders all the time then...

nobody will be forcing their religion down my throat...

screw them...

I will destroy them
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Looking forward to many chieftain games, are we?
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

well but if u have a defensive pact it should be troublesome.
          there should be some diplomatic options relating missionaries.

Comment

Originally posted by alva

Looking forward to many chieftain games, are we?
            what?

I dunno, I will probably play on the regular level... whatever it is...

usually the level where the computer gets no bonus and I get no bonus... I think it was regent in Civ3...

I'm not sure what difficulties are like in Civ4.

I don't like playing on Deity... usually at the high difficulties, the game isn't fun. It's not about dominating then... it's about exploiting the game just to scrape by. I don't think gaming should be about that.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

No, what I mean is that there is bound to be a (severe?) penallty for having closed borders with everyone, especially in the long run.

I think the level is 'Noble' btw.

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                No, what I mean is that there is bound to be a (severe?) penallty for having closed borders with everyone, especially in the long run.

I think the level is 'Noble' btw.
                I never said I would have closed borders with EVERYONE... (I said all the time, but didn't specify with whom)

just the people trying to force their religion down my throat...

that would mean civ's with the same religion as me I could have open borders with...

obviously those civs are the ones I would most likely be allied with in the first place!
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

read the last part of Solvers preview

not happy with it either
                  anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                    just the people trying to force their religion down my throat...
                    man, believe me, that issue is even worse in real life

Comment

Amen!

Comment

As i understand it, the downside of closed boarders is you can't have trade routes (less money for cities) with your neighbors.

Comment

Yup. No commerce. This leads to conquest if a particular civ has valuable resources and you are not willing to trade for them.
                          Owww, I'm so cute! ^_^

Comment

Seclusion sux but I will definately try that game once in a while just to keep my state pure with one religion.
                            One can try to go for great people with closed borders.
                            Playing with the Philosophical and spiritual Saladin... here's what one could do:
                            Theocracy, Representation, Caste system and Mercantilism.
                            Perhaps research will be all right with those choices, though money-wise I doubt one will do good, unless one gets a few Great Merchants once in a while.

Comment

I believe it was in CTP2 that you had an option 'stop piracy or i declare war' or something like that. Does something similar exists in Civ4 for missionaries? I'm sure that otherwise the AI will always send missionaries to your empire even though you are so called allies and/or friends. If I remember correctly you had a similar unit, some kind of laywer (again in CTP2) that stopped production in your city and was not considered as an act of war and thus extremely annoying since the AI loved the unit...or loved annoying me

Comment

Working...
                              X