No announcement yet.

Need the CD/DVD in the drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Often as not, it is the publisher, not the developer that are to blame for the copy protection. From what I can tell, it is part of the contract between the parties.

Publisher :: Developer as Producer :: Music Artist

The publisher/producer has the job of placement/advertising/marketing and take the first cut of all sales. As the only thing that generates their own revenues are direct sales, of course they are going to be completely paranoid and completely focused on preventing anyone from being able to obtain their product without paying for it.

And no one on this particular thread has advocated pirating the game. We have been talking about using a technical workaround to rectify something we do not like in the product that we paid for. In this regard, we are advocating nothing different than someone that modifies a text file because they think that the strength of the axemen unit is too high.

Comment

Originally posted by ml_4da3

I will crack my legal copy of Civ IV and will not be bothered by cd requirements..

IMHO, you're right. I don't know if it's legal or not, but IS fair.
      RIAA sucks
      The Optimistas
      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

You mean you're actually going to remove the disc from the drive? I'm going to have a drive solely devoted to Civ 4.

Comment

I have two drives. And one is devoted to Hash Animation Master. The other drive will probably have civ4 in it a lot though.

Comment

for me the biggest disadvantage of having the disk in the drive is that after some time it gets damaged. I had to buy two copies of C3C cause my first one got wrecked after 3 months!

regards,
            Peter
            regards,

Peter

Comment

Seriously, that sounds like you have an unfriendly drive- was the inner ring scratched up and split? That happens in badly made drives that grip too hard.

Not nice.

Comment

I have two young kids who toss their computer games in and out of the drives all day long. Woe be the day I forget to take the Civ4 CD out and put it in its vault. Therefore, arrangements will be made to avoid said scenario.
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Originally posted by JonahFalcon

I severely doubt you'll see copies of GalCiv being sold
                  fixed...
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                    I have two young kids who toss their computer games in and out of the drives all day long. Woe be the day I forget to take the Civ4 CD out and put it in its vault. Therefore, arrangements will be made to avoid said scenario.
                    You're going to sell your kids!?!?

That's rather harsh don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by dearmad

You're going to sell your kids!?!?

That's rather harsh don't you think?
                      Are you kidding? It's Civ4...

Comment

How many gold/turn do you think he can get??

Comment

Actually, I think I'll put them to work. By that, I mean I'll send them to Firaxis with some keys phrases:

"When is the next patch?"

"Are you suuuure that AI isn't cheating?"

"Are you suuuure one of the new leaders in the X-Pack shouldn't be Yinnus Maximus?"

It'll be great, wholesome fun!
                          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

"When is the next patch?"

It'll be great, wholesome fun!
                            I prefer the "Are we patched yet?" question.

Comment

"Are you suuuure one of the new leaders in the X-Pack shouldn't be Yinnus Maximus?"
                              I think your boys would be more inclined to ask "Are you suuuure one of the new leaders in the X-pack shouldn't be Daddy?"
                              Last edited by GeoModder; October 21, 2005, 03:59.
                              He who knows others is wise.
                              He who knows himself is enlightened.
                              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                              X