Need the CD/DVD in the drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need the CD/DVD in the drive?

Just wondering -- will people need to keep the disc in the drive after the game is launched?

It's a standard to have any game that is not a MMORPG to require a disk in the drive these days to play, so I assume so.
    The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
    - Frank Herbert

Comment

There'll be a "fix" for it soon anyway.
      Last edited by LordShiva; October 20, 2005, 10:07.
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

"Fixing" games
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

is the earth moving?
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Just download a crack for the game. Its legal to crack games you own, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ml_4da3
              Really?

RIAA sucks
              The Optimistas
              I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Games with LAN play often allow play without the CD in the drive, you know.

Comment

After the game is launched you most of the time can remove disks from the drive.

I don't understand all the reactions above, apparantly they either never tried to or thought you talked about starting the game without the disk in the drive. That just means they can't read.
                  Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                  Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                    is the earth moving?
                    [wishfulthinking]NO! Everything in the universe revolves around a stationary Earth.
                    [/wishful thinking]

It will almost certainly require a disk to be in the drive. I myself will "entice" my game to work without it through an image of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by ml_4da3
                      It still amazes me that people think they own software. All you 'own' is a license to install and operate that piece of software on a single 'computer'.

Regardless of how many end-users think that they should be able to do whatever they want with an application after they have purchased it, the publishers just don't see it that way.

Now, ml_4da3, I realize that you might be kidding, but even if you are, there are many folks out there that would take your statement at face value...

Comment

you can always put the disc image onto your hard drive and mount it...

that way you don't have to have a disc in your drive to play it
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinjiru
                          Regardless of how many end-users think that they should be able to do whatever they want with an application after they have purchased it, the publishers just don't see it that way.
                          I am sorry, I meant after one has bought a license to use it.

Afaik, where I live, it is still legal to crack software which one has bought a copy of, under fair use, etc. We cannot assume everyone live in the US. I also think it is legal to reverseengineer and decompile binaries here.

Anyways, even if it is not legal to crack the game in someones contry, if one think it is morally right to crack software, (eg. all those end-users you talk about), one should do it - even if it is illegal. It is important to stand up for what you believe in, even if it happens to run against the current dogma.

I will crack my legal copy of Civ IV and will not be bothered by cd requirements..

Comment

I must admit I do find the requirement of the CD being in the drive rather weird and annoying.

As protection, it's stupid. Pirated discs ship with the cracked exe anyway, so do pirated downloads, and thus warez users do not have this inconvenience, while legal users have to deal with it. Protection should not make the legal product worse than the illegal copy!
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                              As protection, it's stupid. Pirated discs ship with the cracked exe anyway, so do pirated downloads, and thus warez users do not have this inconvenience, while legal users have to deal with it. Protection should not make the legal product worse than the illegal copy!
                              QFT!!!

This is one of the reasons why all games I have bought I have downloaded. None of the games I have bought within the last ~3 years have I ever had the CD/DVD in the drive
                              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Working...
                              X