Official Civ4 Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by inca911
    I need the US requirements so I can go buy a new PC. The game is in manufacturing, so can't someone spill the beans on the official US requirements? They aren't going to change over the next 5 days. DVD vs. CD is a large issue to many. Thanks!
    Official US requirements are exactly the same as the German requirements, with the difference that the US version is brought out on CD and the European version on DVD. This can easily be verified on the EB Games pre-order box art. Maybe publishers think the US is behind in PC technology or so.

Comment

This can easily be verified on the EB Games pre-order box art
      which shows a temporary image of the pre-sell edition, not the final box....
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by wesley32
        Well how hard can it be....I mean, why doesn't Firaxis just publically release the US version requirements? Geez! (yes, I'm a little annoyed because I don't have a dvd drive either). The game has to be in the very final stages of development - besides finishing touches and fixing bugs.
        I'm in agreement here. This may be the FIRST game I've EVER heard of that hadn't released official game requirements even after it has gone gold. It's kind of stupid, I think... especially if they want to sell pre-orders.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I'm short of the recommended on the processor and video card, but at least I meet the minimum. (The Radeon Mobility X300 should work as a video card, right?)

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph
            When the Sims came out here in the US, it was on both, CD and DVD.
            Heck, why not just sell the game with both INCLUDED? It's simpler, doesn't require retailers to 'guess' which one is more popular and have 2 items in their system (a HUGE reason why more games aren't this way, retailers have a maximum number of SKUs generally, and don't like having 2 lines taken up with 1 game), and less confusing to people who don't pay attention and buy the wrong one.

It would not significantly affect the price of the game ... The only problem would be requiring the game to only be installed once, which would be sort of complex I guess. Perhaps you could require the CD (NOT the DVD) to play (using the DVD to save on having 5 discs used to install, only) ...

Or just have an address on the box where you can mail away for CDs if you don't have a DVD drive That works too ...
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Kloreep
              I'm short of the recommended on the processor and video card, but at least I meet the minimum. (The Radeon Mobility X300 should work as a video card, right?)
              I'd expect it to, that's a pretty good graphics card compared to many. My Geforce 5200 is fine (though i'm building a new system with an x800 ) and it's quite old in the graphics card world, at least 2 steps behind any ATI card with an 'x' in front of its name
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

A word of advice: As long as your graphics card is T&L compatible, you should be fine. If your graphics card is not T&L compatible, you are going to run into problems.
                "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Well, I'm out! I only have Windows 98.
                  Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
                  Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

US Version on CD, not on DVD

Hm. I thought I published this post already, but something went wrong... once more:

Civilized.de has updated its article about the system requirements. It sais

Update: Produzent Barry Caudill informiert uns, dass Civ4 in den USA nicht wie in Deutschland und Großbritannien auf DVD, sondern auf 2 CDs erscheint. Danke, Barry!
                    Translated: "Update: Producer Barry Caudill informs us that in the USA, in contrast to Germany and UK, Civ 4 won't be delivered on DVD but on 2 CDs instead. Thanks, Barry!"

This is quite clear. So I guess US-Americans will not need a DVD-drive...

Comment

It's definately CD for North America. If you go to any North American site that has a picture of the box art, it says PC CD-ROM in the corner.
                      Where are you from? Put yourself on the Apolyton Map!

Comment

Mr. MarkG doesn't believe in Box art, so I e-mailed with Kelley Gilmore, Marketing Manager for Firaxis. The answer can be read in this thread and confirms that North America (so I assume that includes Canada) gets 2 CD's and Europe gets 1 DVD.

Comment

is there anyone who was involved in the beta testing who can confirm on these message boards whether u can play this with 32 meg video card.... etc

Comment

Originally posted by Mercade
                            Mr. MarkG doesn't believe in Box art
                            you can bet i dont believe in an image that was quickly created over a month ago and shows a black box in dark brown color

, so I e-mailed with Kelley Gilmore, Marketing Manager for Firaxis. The answer can be read in this thread and confirms that North America (so I assume that includes Canada) gets 2 CD's and Europe gets 1 DVD.
                            thank you for your effort

we posted the same info earlier today
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by Mercade

Official US requirements are exactly the same as the German requirements, with the difference that the US version is brought out on CD and the European version on DVD.
                              Anyone knows the official reason for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Lambiorix_be

Anyone knows the official reason for this?
                                Not me.

Comment

Working...
                                X