• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Civ4 Requirements

MIMIMUM
    # Windows 2000/XP with SP1 or higher
    # Intel Pentium 4- or AMD Athlon CPU with at least 1,2 GHz
    # 256 MB RAM
    # 64 MB graphics card with Hardware T&L (GeForce 2/Radeon 7500 or better)
    # DirectX 7 compatible soundcard
    # DVD-ROM drive
    # 1,7 GB free hard disk space

RECOMMENDED
    # Windows XP with SP1 or higher
    # Intel Pentium 4- or AMD Athlon CPU with at least 1,8 GHz
    # 512 MB RAM
    # 128-MB graphics card with DirectX 8 support (pixel- and vertex shaders)
    # DVD-ROM drive

finaly released, thanks to civilized.de
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Well that's all good to know (though I wasn't expecting any trouble)

Edit: Edited spelling and typing errors (fat finger syndrome)

Steve
    Last edited by rumpo kid; October 19, 2005, 15:02.
    I do not live in London, I live in South London. South London is different, a warm melting pot where everyone can become a bona fide South Londoner by virtue of two things. One: living in South London, and two: having no aspiration to live in the Cotswolds.

Mark Thomas

Comment

heheh. My 3 yr old system matches the "recommended" almost exactly. I built it right though, I expect no difficulty...

!!ACK!! I just realized, I don't have a DVD-ROM drive.
      I better get one of those LiteOn's...
      Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

So it will ship as DVD

Comment

hmm so I'm fairly ignorant of things computery. I know though that my system meets the mins and exceeds them in most deparmments (not by a whole lot persay) so in general I'm good. One thing though. I don't have a DVD rom. Mine is just a CD drive. Does this mean that Civ won't work on my comp? It's kind of important to know today as Futureshop has a DVD drive on for $75 down from it's usual $125 (canadian), but the sale is over tomorrow.

Comment

Well, the AoE III demo ran on my portable, so I gather CIVIV will do as well.
            He who knows others is wise.
            He who knows himself is enlightened.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Spa:-
              You'll definitely need a DVD Drive (ROM or Writer) do you feel confident enough to install it yourself?

Steve
              I do not live in London, I live in South London. South London is different, a warm melting pot where everyone can become a bona fide South Londoner by virtue of two things. One: living in South London, and two: having no aspiration to live in the Cotswolds.

Mark Thomas

Comment

MIMIMUM
                # Windows 2000/XP with SP1 or higher
                # Intel Pentium 4- or AMD Athlon CPU with at least 1,2 GHz
                # 256 MB RAM
                # 64 MB graphics card with Hardware T&L (GeForce 2/Radeon 7500 or better)
                # DVD-ROM drive

ACK! Well, like GeoModder, AoE III demo ran on my laptop (which only has 32 MB VRAM), so I hope I can do the same with CivIV!!
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                  Well, the AoE III demo ran on my portable, so I gather CIVIV will do as well.
                  Not really. I haven't ever installed anything myself (in the past I have had access to people in the know, but I moved to Calgary and both of them are still in Halifax). If it's a fairly simple matter of plugging the thing in and running the add hardware and install drivers I might give it a go but we'll see. For $40 more bucks I can get Futureshop to handle the whole thing and that's kind of tempting.

Comment

Remember that this is from a German site, so the DVD vs CDROM may differ for North America, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by spa
                      Not really. I haven't ever installed anything myself (in the past I have had access to people in the know, but I moved to Calgary and both of them are still in Halifax). If it's a fairly simple matter of plugging the thing in and running the add hardware and install drivers I might give it a go but we'll see. For $40 more bucks I can get Futureshop to handle the whole thing and that's kind of tempting.
                      Some misunderstanding here, I wasn't responding to your earlier post. We simply Xposted due to the forum being on-and-off half the time. (probably by the moving of threads)

But for your question: A DVD won't run on a CD-drive, so you better take that buy if you can.
                      He who knows others is wise.
                      He who knows himself is enlightened.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Oh no

I have no DVD Rom...

I won't have money to upgrade anytime soon...

And 1.7 GB is a bit much for a single game...

Comment

Yeah, no DVD drive. Not exactly sure why they will do DVD only- 1.7gigs is not a big game. Biggest CIV game, maybe, but a lot of the 3d action titles are double this and still come with DVD -or- mutli-CD versions.

But.. been wanting to get one anyhow, just can't right now. Looks like this one requirement is going to cause me not to be playing cIV for a while.

Comment

Laptop with less than 64 Mgs vram

I know thap people really in the know sometime peruse these forums, and I have noticed that a couple people in previous posts have said that they do not have 64 megs vram, though the AOE III demo runs on their systems. I am in the same boat. I would even wager that they have the popular dell 5/600(m) series of laptops, which have intel integrated graphics.

If I only have the intel integrated, does this mean that I should go get my money back for my preorder version? That would dishearten me most severely.
                            "He who lacks the romanticsm to believe that love triumphs any corporal happiness has sold his soul, whether for it he recieved an entire kingdom or a single silver coin."
                            -Soren Kierkegaard, Fear and Trembling

Comment

Man, I use Windows 98. I knew this graphical update of Civilization would inevitably come around to kick me in the shin. Best cancel my pre-order then.

(Yes, Amazon says "2000/XP", but they said that about Dawn of War - Winter Assault, which I just beat a few days ago.)
                              "I spent some time trying to scream, but nothing came out but blood." - Darren MacLennan

Comment

Working...
                              X