Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civics seem balanced

From the civfanatics' preview:
    Once you have solidified your borders, and assuming are still at peace, it is time to make your empire more productive. There are various ways that you can do that. As mentioned above, religion is one way. Civics, of course are also a great way to fine-tune your government. The beauty of this system is that you don’t need to focus only on the later Civics choices to make your empire as productive in certain circumstances. Under the Labor section, Serfdom (which comes at Feudalism) may be a better choice than Emancipation (which comes at Democracy) if you like more productive workers. Civics such as Police state and Nationhood (which allows you to draft one unit per turn, and get +2 happiness from Barracks) are excellent choices during war-time. The Pyramid wonder enables all government civics, but it doesn't mean it's a good idea to immediately switch to Universal Suffrage (+1 shield per Town; Can spend Gold to finish productions), since you most likely will have very few towns and not much Gold at this early stage of the game. Another thing to note is, unless your leader’s trait is Spiritual, you might not want to change up your Civics choices too much, as that leads to a period of Anarchy.
    The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
    - Frank Herbert

The Pyramid Wonder enables all civics choice? wow!
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat
      The Pyramid Wonder enables all civics choice? wow!
      Yeah - that seems a bit powerful. Guess that makes it worth the gamble of losing all those shields if you don't build it before another civ finishes it.
      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

No only government civics else it would be too powerful

Aks K
        Imagination is more important than knowledge... Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Ah - right you are Aks K - just the government civics. That's ok then.
          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I still say it should give +2 engineers in that city, a greater chance of a Great Engineer, and reduced maintainance costs in all your cities (plus culture, of course). To me, that just makes far more sense!

Actually, does anyone know (MarkG, Solver??) if any kind of tourism is in the game again?

Yours,
            Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

I am so pumped about civics...In fact I dug out my copy of SMAC just to get used to the effect. (I actually went out a bought a used copy because my son 'stole' my original copy)

New appreciation for a game that I did not play enough when I got it.
              Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
              ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Originally posted by Aks K
                No only government civics else it would be too powerful

Aks K
                That's still pretty cool.
                'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

I know where you are coming from Hexagonian. I borrowed SMAC from a friend several years ago and-you won't believe this-wasn't even aware that social engineering existed (I didn't have a manual!) The whole time I was wondering where the governments were, but just assumed the game didn't have any . Then, when Civics got mentioned, people started saying how it sounded like SE in SMAC. When I asked more about it-someone showed me a screenshot of the SE screen. Well, you could have knocked me down with a feather-it looked BRILLIANT. So, what did I do? I went and found a copy and BOUGHT IT (not easy to do anymore!) Needless to say, I have been really enjoying me SMAC experience, and am amazed at how many Civ4 features are actually SMAC features 'making a comeback!'

Yours,
                  Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

Yeah, the revealed civics seem to be well balanced, the
                    Hereditary Rule ability for example(each unit in city makes 1 person happy with no limits) seems me good not only for militaristic players but even for defensive builders, because it gives a non-military bonus to having many military units. This seems me well balanced with the other options in the category.

I'm happy that they have choiced for balanced civics rather then "newer are quite always better".

Comment

I know three people who will be very happy in a warm, special place to read this thread....
                      Friedrich Psitalon
                      Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
                      Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Working...
                      X