will Civ 4 require XP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atahualpa

Ah so you're running linux, well in that case, I hope it works on 98se, although it might be difficult, because I think even MS has officially dropped support for it.
    cheers, i hope it does too.

re Willem: this thread isn't really about the merits of win 98 vs win xp. rather its about the whether win xp is required for civ 4 and whether dropping support for previous windows is justified (for reasons detailed already i don't think it is)
    regards,

Peter

Comment

Have you tried running the "Age of Empires III" (by M$ btw) demo on a W2k computer ? Good luck - it won't install. Which I consider quiet a bit of impertinence, most likely to force users to move on and spend money on another M$ product although the old one probably would suffice. And I wouldn't be surprised if they "persuade" other companies to follow them soon. The difference between W98 and XP might be fairly huge, but I doubt it is between W2k and XP. Honi soit qui mal y pense....

Comment

Originally posted by MeaCulpa
        Have you tried running the "Age of Empires III" (by M$ btw) demo on a W2k computer ? Good luck - it won't install. Which I consider quiet a bit of impertinence, most likely to force users to move on and spend money on another M$ product although the old one probably would suffice. And I wouldn't be surprised if they "persuade" other companies to follow them soon. The difference between W98 and XP might be fairly huge, but I doubt it is between W2k and XP. Honi soit qui mal y pense....
        Publisher = M$.

1 + 1 = 2. Always does. Always will.

end of story.

Comment

I am also wondering if Civ4 will also support Win98. I can't find the official requirements anywhere not even on the publishers site and the game will be out in a few weeks. Pirates which uses the same engine supports Win98 so hopefully Civ4 will aswell.

Comment

I am also wondering if Civ4 will also support Win98.

It will probably run but I doubt wether there will be any official support.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

get ready for Bill Gates newest greatest (POS) operating system

Saw the hype on the newest edition of Computer Games Mag

will not buy it....no way...no how......
              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Personally, Im looking forward to the new Windows Vista OS. For years I've been playing 3-D Accellerated games. Now I'll have a 3-D accelerated OS to go with it. (It'll require a Direct X 9 card to run. Hopefully this will rid the industry of the crappy integrated graphics problem.)

It'll come out about the same time I upgrade to a new computer. (2006 or 2007). It's supposed to come with a new Hard Drive search that's as fast as Google. (Which will save LOTS OF TIME looking for files you can't directly download which reside on your hard drive in hidden areas, such as streamed quicktime movie trailers. )

Supposed to be better for games. MS has finally recognized why some people buy a new computer every 3 - 4 years. Games.

As for XP. I've never had to reinstall since I got it a year ago. With 98 I had to do it every 6 months. Inaddition to this one, my other 2 XP machines have never gotten a Blue Screen of Death.

If CIV IV requires Xp it won't bother me. But I'd feel sorry for those of you that still use 2000 and 98. Upgrading is good. Forcing an upgrade isn't. I don't think we'll have this problem.
                Whatever goes up, better doggon well stay up...

Comment

As for XP. I've never had to reinstall since I got it a year ago. With 98 I had to do it every 6 months. Inaddition to this one, my other 2 XP machines have never gotten a Blue Screen of Death.
                  My bro has XP and this one time his comp was so full of virus' and spyware and all kinds of other crap it ran so slow.

Without reinstalling XP, i was able to completely clean up his comp and get it running smoothly again - and in less time it would of taken to reinstall. I could never do that in an earlier version of windows.

Comment

Working...
                  X