will Civ 4 require XP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will Civ 4 require XP?

Am currently prepping for a dual boot system after a year without windows and civ 3! (its great!)

Civ 4 only seems to support windows xp. Can anyone confirm this or will I be able to stick with tried and trusted windows 98 se?

For that matter, any linux bods know if cedega will support civ 4?

Looking forward to october 26th ... november 14th ... er sometime before the annual consumption festival.

Regards,

Peter
    regards,

Peter

Has it working on Windows XP

Has it working on Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP.

Has it working on XP.

I'd get the French version.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

It's about time people promoted their win98's, god knows they fought enough battles...
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Who don't have Xp these days?
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
          Those fanatics who still worship the ancient technologies.

I dont think 98 has been supported for at least a couple of years.......
          *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
            Don't see why i should have to pay 60 quid for buggy software to play my favourite game. Seems like amazon know whats going on but where are they getting their info? cheers Dauphin for that!
            regards,

Peter

Comment

But you will probably not be able to play Civ4 with your comp anyway, with such an old OS installed on it.
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by petermarkab

Don't see why i should have to pay 60 quid for buggy software to play my favourite game. Seems like amazon know whats going on but where are they getting their info? cheers Dauphin for that!
                Do you say that Win98 has less bugs that XP!?!?
                Com'on, Win98 were the days of reinstalling the whole OS every half year. WinME was even worse. Since I had XP I've had 2 blue screens that resulted of badly programmed 3rd party drivers. Don't even get me started about the crap that was Win98.....

Windows XP is the best Microsoft OS so far.

Comment

my pc is pretty up to date; i get framerates of around 150 per second in UT2004 to give you some idea.

my point is i don't see why i should "upgrade" my windows OS just to play an unrelated game.

and in case you didn't read my first post, i currently run linux: $ uname -a:

Linux zubenelgenubi 2.6.11-gentoo-r6 #1 Sun Apr 24 20:29:38 BST 2005 i686 AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2500+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

re Atahualpa and very off-topic: I appreciate where you're coming from. win xp is superior in many respects to 98se but it is a very oppressive and opaque OS
                  regards,

Peter

Comment

my point is i don't see why i should "upgrade" my windows OS just to play an unrelated game.
                    Perhaps you could enlighten us as to why the devs should provide Win98 support for a few customers that refuse to upgrade?

Comment

winXP is much less buggy than win98... I have had blue screen of death maybe 3 times in my history of using WinXP... in Win98, perhaps 3 times a day on average it crashes...

plus, who the hell pays for Windows anyways?

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Whatever. Win2000 doesn't require me calling up uncle bill everytime I want to use it... that's why I stick with 2000. Which, I assume will play the game fine.

Comment

my pc is pretty up to date; i get framerates of around 150 per second in UT2004 to give you some idea.

and in case you didn't read my first post, i currently run linux: $ uname -a:

Linux zubenelgenubi 2.6.11-gentoo-r6 #1 Sun Apr 24 20:29:38 BST 2005 i686 AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2500+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

re Atahualpa and very off-topic: I appreciate where you're coming from. win xp is superior in many respects to 98se but it is a very oppressive and opaque OS
                          Ah so you're running linux, well in that case, I hope it works on 98se, although it might be difficult, because I think even MS has officially dropped support for it.

Comment

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to why the devs should provide Win98 support for a few customers that refuse to upgrade?
                            Ok here goes...

First make the assumption that civ 4 will sell around the same no. units as civ 3, (if we are to believe the hype this will be so!) this is around 2 million

Then take current spread of windows versions used by the general population. i've taken this to be roughly equal to what OSes people are using to surf the www (Its about one third down - windows 98 is on 3.2%). Factor out non-civ3 OSes and I get around 3.5% for win98 usage. Granted civ 4 isn't surfing the net but i would contend that a lot of corporations use XP (upgrade cycles) and they don't play civ 3 so it balances out!

This gives no. units civ 3 sold to win98 owners as 70000. At 30 quid a pop thats £2.1 million which is a lot of income from a few stubborn gamers. What i'm not sure about is development costs and proportion of revenue that goes to the developer (i'm sure someone will chip in with that info soon), but this is just the win 98 income. 2000 is running at 16% - £9.6 million income - should that be dropped also? Will it be available for the mac? Given that linux is around 3.2% maybe linux gamers should get a port aswell. (If Epic can do native linux with UT2004 why can't Firaxis?)

regards,

Peter
                            regards,

Peter

Comment

There's nothing buggy about XP, it's far more stable than 98 ever was. I would never want to go back to redoing my OS every 6 months because of some system crash. With XP, it's only happened twice in over 3 years, and once may have been my fault.

Comment

Working...
                              X