Based On What We Know: Rate Civ 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
    what gives me hope for the AI having a much longer shelf-life this time out is that they have based it on long observations of behaviour exhibited between humans in the MP they built-from the ground up. This is probably a FAR better way to build an AI, as you can make it respond appropriately to percieved human 'exploits' much better.
    This seems like an interesting way to explore A.I. options and counters. Sounds nice!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sir Ralph

I deliberately kept out of this discussion, since I find that whole wager thing silly. I found it amusing for a day or two, then started to yawn. I like to talk in hyperboles myself (by god I do) and find it pretty disgusting, if somebody is nailed so mercilessly to words, which never were meant serious. And it would make me very unhappy, if my judgement would cause somebody do something as unappetizing as eating cardboard.

I told the same to Hex, with whom I changed PMs. He replied, that you would see it as good fun, and if that is really the case, you can count on me. But keep in mind, that living in Europe I'll get the game 2 weeks later than you, and probably I need a bit time, since these tests demand some care. So if you're out for a quicker judgement (may be because that game box looks too appetizing ), you'll probably be better off looking for somebody else.
      Well, I think we can wait. This should also give Hex time to join us, too. Frankly, I think it's just good fun. What else is there to do before the game comes out? And if I make a prediction, I want to stand by it ... including the unappetizing consequences. The important thing, though, is that I have people I trust and respect telling me, in their judgement, that ICS is dead and combat is now exciting.
      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Where is Libertarian, when you need him?

Or that other "Me too" type guy, Charley Farley or something like that.
        Coracle was also a pretty negative guy
        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

• Has he left for good? Since you say was I mean.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
            Oh come on, Sir Ralph would be a terrible torch holder . He is only negative about 1 or 2 trivial little things, from what I have seen-we need someone who TRULY hates the game. I would like to nominate hclass from the Civfanatics as the new torch holder, for he is a force for pure negativity that would have even put Yin at his height to shame-largely because his negativity is based on no information and is not subject to change regardless of the evidence provided to him !

Yours,
            Aussie_Lurker.
            where is coracle when you need him?

check out his posts, his rants were sometimes infinitely amusing
            - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
            - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

• Coracle, Jimmytrick or Venger would be good torch holders.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike
                ... Jimmytrick ...
                That would be Capt Dizle. He's not quite up to his old form. Maybe once he buys the game he'll really start complaining. Oh, wait - he said he won't buy it because Al Gore's head makes an appearance.
                "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

• He says lots of things.

No one mentioned Venger - he was a big whinger when Civ3 came out........haven't seen him since.

Comment

• Originally posted by yin26

Well, I think we can wait. This should also give Hex time to join us, too. Frankly, I think it's just good fun. What else is there to do before the game comes out? And if I make a prediction, I want to stand by it ... including the unappetizing consequences. The important thing, though, is that I have people I trust and respect telling me, in their judgement, that ICS is dead and combat is now exciting.
                    While "Exciting" is in the eye of the beholder, I played someone this weekend who used a classic ICS-type strategy, deliberately ignoring any consequences, against my significantly different strategy...

... to put it mildly, they self-destructed. I hardly had to do anything to finish the job.
                    Friedrich Psitalon
                    Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
                    Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

• Well, that's great news!
                      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Working...
                      X