Is tech tree really non linear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe.

though i hope that understandability will improve at release...
    - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
    - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

I personally believe that metal-casting should require either bronze working or iron working, given that they are both metals that can be cast. Just a thought.
      Actually, one thing I have wondered is if it might be possible to link tech research to the possession of appropriate resources (like a link between having Copper and studying bronze working, or having iron and studying iron working)

Yours,
      Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

well, as historically iron working came after bronze (much more difficult because it requires higher temperatures and "cleaner" ore) bronze should be the pre-req for iron working anyhow (maybe iron working should be cheap therefore), so you opinion is sort of integrated already

regarding your other idea: i don't know how resources appear in civ4, but in civ3 you could only see the resource when you got the tech...

Comment

Well, the idea I had was that something like Copper and Iron actually show up when you discover mining-and this determines whether or not you can then research bronze or iron working.

Yours,
          Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

hm, interesting... it could work.... it would delay the "use" of a resource

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
              I guess "cluttering" has something to do with it.
              i tried to connect ancient age techs with handdrawn lines and believe me... it get's very very ugly because they link 4 "levels" to the right and 5 positions up (eg masonry to construction).

nontheless no "mandatory-prereq" arrows at all does not make it more understandable as overview. i had to several times search for the iron to know it's prerequesite (eg. polytheism for literature).

oh well... in 2.5 weeks the lucky ones will know it and 1-2 weeks later my post will arrive too

Comment

I'm modding MT. Rushmore to another tech. I understand the rationale, but even though I'm a flaming liberal, it doesn't seem appropriate.

The rise of Hitler was partially from legitimate German pride, Bismark invented Social Security, so legitimacy can spur fascism, but this is uncommon.

Comment

What are all those question marks on the tree ?
                  «Vive le Québec libre» - Charles de Gaulle

Comment

techs that firaxis doesn't want us to know about yet.

Comment

What you mean there is still something we dont know about Civ4 ? And by the way what are all those blue trees in the main map ?
                      «Vive le Québec libre» - Charles de Gaulle

Comment

there WAS work being done. those screenshots are from a build which is probably around 6 weeks old...

Comment

Do we have a word from those lucky beta-testers on how the tech tree really is? Is it as good as Firaxis makes it sound like?
                          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                            Do we have a word from those lucky beta-testers on how the tech tree really is? Is it as good as Firaxis makes it sound like?
                            No and yes
                            *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Working...
                            X