Is tech tree really non linear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is tech tree really non linear?

IN UR OPINION DOES SCREENSHOTS SHOW THAT THE TECH TREE IS SIMILAR TO CIV3 TECH TREE ? FIRAXIS SAID IT WOULDNT'BE LINEAR WITH CHANCES FOR PLAYERS TO CHOOSE DIFFERENT PATHS.

Welcome to Apolyton.

All trees look alike in some way or another but can be very different at the same too.

Oh, we really enjoy shouting here.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Welcome! It seems to be pretty different made. I'd listen to wise, old alva if I were you, both on his game comment and on his shouting comment.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

The reason the tech tree is non-linear is because there are now a variety of ways to reach the same later tech.
        As a case in point, if you want to get writing you can go via either

(a) Mysticism->Meditation->Priesthood->Writing

(b) Agriculture->Animal Husbandry->Writing

(c) Hunting->Animal Husbandry->Writing

(d) The Wheel->Pottery->Writing.

As another example Code of laws requires Writing as an absolute, but can be reached by that alone, or in combination with either Priesthood or Currency.

What we see here, though, is that how you reach certain techs can often depend on the strategy you are pursuing. For instance, if you are a Civ with a spiritual leader, you will probably go via the Mysticism route to both Writing and Code of laws, wheras someone with an Expansive or Mercantile leader might pursure one of the other three routes to writing and, in combination with currency, get to code of laws.

Of course, the other issue behind this is that there are now a fair percentage of techs which you can either leave out entirely, or pursue much later-even though it is much earlier in the tech-tree.

Yours,
        Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

So, isn't it time someone says now that typing in all-caps isn't favoured here?
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Has the tech tree been posted anywhere? Are there any screenshots of it yet?

all caps
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
              So, isn't it time someone says now that typing in all-caps isn't favoured here?
              Indeed, we have only done so twice in this thread so far.

Sava: Yes, several times.
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai

Sava: Yes, several times.
                can you please direct me to such pics?
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

YES
                  *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Uh, Um... This topic got me looking at the tech tree again and ... can anyone look double check this... but is Mount Rushmore a wonder under ... Fascism?

Comment

I'm no expert on US history between the wars, but I have seen claims that the US had fascistic tendencies at the time even though it was a rock solid democracy then too. I guess it has something to do with a strong state, a dominant personality in the presidental seat and such?

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                        can you please direct me to such pics?
                        In this thread you'll find several links to different sources(and different qualities, don't remember whcih one was best): http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=138861

Comment

For the original poster, we also enjoy reading posts that say "your" instead of "ur"

Comment

Originally posted by Verenti
                            Uh, Um... This topic got me looking at the tech tree again and ... can anyone look double check this... but is Mount Rushmore a wonder under ... Fascism?
                            yeah, it appears Mt Rushmore is a wonder under Fascism

BTW, thank you Nikolai!
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Np, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X