Availability in South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Availability in South Africa

Would someone be so kind to let me know whether (with the new publishers/distributors) Civilization 4 will be available here in South Africa?

Civilization 3 appeared on the shelves but SR2010 will not be distributed here and I have never seen any of the Paradox games here either.

It seems that South Africans are doomed to receive only the "popularist" RTS and FPS games but not the more intelligent (niche market) Grand Strategy games.

try Ebay...

I just did a quick search and found Hearts of Iron 2 (Paradox Game) on there for $24.99 new and the seller had worldwide shipping (I assume that includes South Africa)....

that might be your best bet...
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Sava:

Thank you for your reply.

I will investigate this option.

Comment

Chips&Bits ships to south africa with a shipping cost of $43.68(!!) but you can get 3 months of plus for free if you just follow the instructions here
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

MarkG:

I am truly honoured by your reply.

That (the need to pay virtually DOUBLE for any "self-imported" game) is actually a major problem associated with living here in South Africa .... where there is such a limited distribution of high-quality games.

Another concomitant problem is that we are plagued here by extremely long-fingered postal workers who are infamous for opening virtually any parcel or package that crosses their path. Furthermore, virtually nobody has ever been caught in the act .... no matter how brazen they are.

I have since learned that a local internet-based mailorder company should probably be distributing Civ 4 here. However, it would be a major shame if Sid and Soren's game were not to appear on our shelves alogside AOE 3 and the like.

Comment

Re: Availability in South Africa

Originally posted by Son of moose
            Would someone be so kind to let me know whether (with the new publishers/distributors) Civilization 4 will be available here in South Africa?

Civilization 3 appeared on the shelves but SR2010 will not be distributed here and I have never seen any of the Paradox games here either.

It seems that South Africans are doomed to receive only the "popularist" RTS and FPS games but not the more intelligent (niche market) Grand Strategy games.
            You know, if that happens, I reckon you are perfectly within your rights to 'acquire via alternative channels'
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Son of moose
              Another concomitant problem is that we are plagued here by extremely long-fingered postal workers who are infamous for opening virtually any parcel or package that crosses their path.

I have since learned that a local internet-based mailorder company should probably be distributing Civ 4 here.
              that's good news

civ4 is now #1 in amazon pre-orders so perhaps the local importers will soon realize it's in their benefit to have it in stores...
              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Provost Harrison:

You know, if that happens, I reckon you are perfectly within your rights to 'acquire via alternative channels'

One is often sorely tempted.

After all, if you think about it (especially in the case of SR2010), there is no way that I can obtain the game here in South Africa with absolute certainty (bearing in mind my comments relating to our postal workers). Therefore, as I would be highly unlikely to run the strong risk of loosing something like US$ 80-00, the publisher/distributor would not actually be loosing any money.

It is all very sad actually .... especially as I spent a lot of time on the SR2010 forum and was a beta tester of the game. (I even appear in the game as one of the "Cabinet Ministers").

Comment

Mark G:

Yes .... that company is called Take 2 (and has a South African webpage).

I wonder if it happens to be a subsidiary of Take 2 Interactive who are the publishers/distributors of Civ 4 (or whether the name is merely coincidental)?

Comment

Working...
                  X