CIV Multiplayer: A second chance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIV Multiplayer: A second chance?

I'm curious as to how people are feeling about Multiplayer - both Active and PBEM/Pitboss - when you compare the admittedly less-than-ideal C3C MP experience with the glowing reviews that CIV MP has been getting...

Are you interested? Will you check it out again? To what degree? Please post your thoughts for one curious Multiplayer fiend.
    I am looking forward to all kinds of CIV MP.
    34.15%
    I will be trying Active, but will probably just play PBEM/PITBOSS.
    18.29%
    I will be playing PBEM/PITBOSS, but won't give Active a second look.
    8.54%
    I may check out PBEM/PITBOSS, but I strongly prefer SP only.
    20.73%
    I won't check out any MP of any kind.
    9.76%
    I will follow the directions of my master, The Great Banana.
    8.54%
    Friedrich Psitalon
    Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
    Consultant, Firaxis Games

I am willing to give it a try because the Pitboss concept intrigues me, but I am a pure singleplayer at the core.
    "Give me a soft, green mushroom and I'll rule the world!" - TheArgh
    "No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy." - Murphy's law
    Anthéa, 5800 pixel wide extravaganza (french)

Comment

singleplayer all the way baby
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I definitely prefer singleplayer, but I expect myself to play some MP as well. I'll probably not play a lot of active, as it can very easily take an entire evening, but I am quite interested in PBEM/Pitboss. Especially if, thanks to Pitboss, the pace of PBEM games goes up a little.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

PBEM is definately getting used, and I might dabble in some MP, if I can find some people on this side of the pond to play against.

But PBEM wins, as it is, at present the only way to play a demogame, although I would love to see how PitBoss could be adapted to demogame play...
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
            PBEM is definately getting used, and I might dabble in some MP, if I can find some people on this side of the pond to play against.

But PBEM wins, as it is, at present the only way to play a demogame, although I would love to see how PitBoss could be adapted to demogame play...
            Krill - I'd guess about 33-40% of Civ3Players is Euro-based. I'm absolutely certain you can find more than a few players over there... but then again, you already knew that.
            Friedrich Psitalon
            Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
            Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

I'm hoping the pitboss thing works since human v human is the best challenge. MP just turns into a bad wargame. PBEM is fun but way too slow (but probably the only alternative for world-spanning games) and frustrating when it goes wrong (bugs etc).
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I voted for the banana. What's with all this Peebem-Pitboss stuff anyway? There seems to be a presumption in your poll that "active" might be "phew" in a lot of minds but PBEM is golden? Where's the option to say, "I wouldn't touch PBEM with with a ten foot pole, but I'll try Active and see what I think"? I didn't see that one in the list.

I tried Play the World multiplayer out of the box. It didn't work. Dialup? "Out of Synch". If I see "out of synch" one more time I think I'll hurl. I even waited for the first patch. That didn't work either. Not for me, at least.

I eventually played two games of Conquests with another player and those worked. I had some fun.

One would presume that Civ4 MP will work. If it actually does work, I don't see any reason why NOT to try it. My Conquests MP games were cooperative vs the AI, not mano y mano, and I'll be sure to try some of that.

I didn't see that option in the poll, either.

"I don't know what I think of playing against other people, but an easy going coop game against the AI with my wife/husband/child/friend/penpal sounds appealing."

I didn't see that option, so... BANANA!

- Sirian

Comment

I played some MP in Civ2, but tired of Civ3 before MP came along. The thing that worries me about active MP is the simultaneous turns - I hated that when I tried it Civ2. PBEM is too slow, pitboss sounds interesting, but I expect to play mostly single-player. The AI is always ready to play when I am, and never ready when I'm not!

If Firaxis delivers on all of their moddability promises, this game should have an unusually long life in single player.

Comment

@Sirian: My Conquests MP games were cooperative vs the AI, not mano y mano, and I'll be sure to try some of that
                    I second that - cooperative MP games sound like fun. Being a builder, the very few MP games I played were frustrating as it was all senseless bashing. Finding likeminded players is an issue...
                    "Give me a soft, green mushroom and I'll rule the world!" - TheArgh
                    "No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy." - Murphy's law
                    Anthéa, 5800 pixel wide extravaganza (french)

Comment

Except SP, I will actively play PBEM. At this moment, I have no plans to play online.

Comment

It really depends on if they improved the rather clunky interface they had in Civ3 or not.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I'm already preparing all my civ-the boardgame friends to play huge active/pitboss games 8)

can't wait!
                          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I will play online all day.

From work that is. If my work computer can handle it.
                            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I'm a single player. But if some of my friends on the school decides to try out the game, I might play with them.
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                              X