No announcement yet.

Strategy Guide anyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the MP community which sort of sprang originally from here (Warning U2, myself, and Canucksoldier were all posters here before C3P was founded) can be found at http://civ3players.proboards2.com/index.cgi ... Civ4Players isn't open yet. I hope this isn't a violation of Apolyton policy in posting that; dunno what your rules are here in that regard. I figure it's fair since we send people here for SP strategy all the time.

Dominae- I dunno about Deity, but I can thump you pretty regularly. Hehe!
    Friedrich Psitalon
    Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
    Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

as MP in poly was virtually inexistant (afaik only one of four tournaments were finished!), so it's probably not forbidden
      - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
      - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
        Hmm...

Fried > Dom
        Dom > Deity
        Deity > Fried

And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Meh; honestly, I've never even tried. I probably could, but playing with the handicaps installed on a high difficulty level frustrate me. I like even contests where wits are the main determinant of victory. While I know a lot of people enjoy high-level-SP's "beat the odds" system, for me my enjoyment is elsewhere.
          Last edited by Fried-Psitalon; September 28, 2005, 13:44.
          Friedrich Psitalon

Comment

In terms of fun, MP>SP by a long shot. However, not many people in Civ3 liked online MP. Most, including me, preferred PBEM.

Comment

I'm hoping you'll find CIV4 to improve your feelings about active play.
              Friedrich Psitalon

Comment

I'll definitely be taking careful notes....whether that eventually translates into an unofficial strat guide, a la SMAX guide...dunno. I had high hopes for Civ III, but I did not find the game deep enough, in the end, to make a really meaty guide.

I have the same high hopes for Civ IV tho...

-=Vel=-
                The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Philotas
                  Yea, a single patch can make a strategy guide worthless.
                  Usually, all it takes to do that is the release of the actual game, though occasionally it happens even earlier (during the printing process).
                  If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                    Well, I hear that the strategy guide is going to be written by a real Civ player, and a skilled Civ player at that.
                    Very true
                    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

I might pick this up, might learn something useful.

Does the author get royalties or is it just a straight commission with these things? I'd be more inclined if a few cents goes to the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
                        Well, the MP community which sort of sprang originally from here (Warning U2, myself, and Canucksoldier were all posters here before C3P was founded) can be found at http://civ3players.proboards2.com/index.cgi ... Civ4Players isn't open yet. I hope this isn't a violation of Apolyton policy in posting that; dunno what your rules are here in that regard. I figure it's fair since we send people here for SP strategy all the time.

Ya and it's to bad they didn't recruit some of us Civ2MGE MPers for the PTW beta, or maybe it wouldn't have sucked so much and Civ3 MP would have been a tad bit more popular :-/

CS
                        Global Admin/Owner
                        Civilization Players Leagues
                        www.civplayers.com
                        http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                          I've heard through the grape-vine that there will be at least one strategy guide which has been/will be written by a more than competent person who actually has extensive knowledge of CIV.
                          Ill believe it when i see it.

Usually the most useful parts of these otherwise worthless guides is the info not available in detail in the game, like hidden equations, this constitutes about 2 of 150 pages. I dont need to pay for someone to tell me to build roads ASAP because its good for defence.
                          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                          CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                          One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Then you'll believe it.
                            Friedrich Psitalon

Comment

Maq:

I think we'll all be in for a surprise as to how useful the strat guide will actually be.

Dale

Comment

A good idea
                                The Sherrin Foundation
                                Captain of the Concordian Armed Forces, Inspectorate of the MoD Term VI

Comment

Working...
                                X