Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Daddy loves civ more than me!"

I've known about Civanon for a few months now, but:

This add, popping up now on game sites just made me laugh...

The whole Civanon thing is getting very funny.
    Attached Files

Man, this ad strikes home. That's it -- Screw Civ.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
      Man, this ad strikes home. That's it -- Screw Civ.

Comment

It is a funny ad.
        -Darkstar
        (Knight Errant Of Spam)

Comment

Yes, the ads are funny, and I give Firaxis mad props (like that lingo for the young gamers among us?).

I have often sacrificed too much time away from my kids...not to play Civ, though (my 6 year-old was born some time around making the Civ 3 list, isn't that about right?). That is a bit sad, really. Kids grow so fast, and to waste so much time on games is pathetic.

I'm not talking about late at night after the kids go to sleep, of course, and I think it IS absolutely fine (healthy, in fact) to sacrifice time away from your WIFE!
          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Well, it depends on if its a good week or a bad week. Bad week, its always better to spend time away from the wife. Good week? Don't waste that time on playing a game!
            -Darkstar
            (Knight Errant Of Spam)

Comment

The problem is I don't particlarly like TBS in bed. RTS is more my style, and her cries for "Just one more turn!" start to wear me down, you know? And she'll never go for MP no matter what I do.

Comment

Yin, yin, yin. I'm so disappointed in you. A little TBS is a great warm up for the main RTS competition!

As far as MP goes... d'uh! Think about it! Have you seen most of the other MPers out there? Do you really want to MP with some 13 year old Korean boy that much? Or maybe some 9 year old American X-Box Live inhabitant? (I'm assured that those type archtypes are the most typical MPers out there currently. I have absolute zero clues on the matter, never having been invited to an MP match in the last er... six years. )
                -Darkstar
                (Knight Errant Of Spam)

Comment

TBS, O.K., but she has this manual that's like 780 pages. You ever try to read the manual to Falcon 4.0? It's like that man. Same thing with the machine requirements. I keep saying that TBS should run on a 386...but this woman wants it all.

Comment

Civ ANON is hilarious
                    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Manual? In a TBS game? No real gamer would ever think about reading a manual. Besides, you know those things are never right.

It's a TBS conquest game! Those all work along the same principles. Just figure out what the primary resources are, control them, and control all the access to those resources. You'll win, every time!
                      -Darkstar
                      (Knight Errant Of Spam)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
                        It's a TBS conquest game!
                        Conquest? Come on it's all building an huge empire, to grow your cities, to extend your empire and sometimes it happens that there was someone else who dared it to place a city or even worse dared it to place his capital on your continent on your holy land that you saw with your long - long before him.

-Martin
                        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Re: "Daddy loves civ more than me!"

Originally posted by dearmad

The whole Civanon thing is getting very funny.
                          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                          CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                          One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Well, this is the one time I'm glad my culture flipping actually works.

Comment

Brushing aside all the double entendre:

My daughter (9 yrs old) has been a great MPer. She plays warcraft III with me once in awhile... she's got the game down prety good, but, being a girl, is a little overly focused on beautifying the landscape rather than mercilessly crushing our opponents. She likes cooperation.

She doesn't get frustrated with losing at all. I mean at all. She only breaks down into tears when she knows I'm frustrated with losing. LOL- she cries because *I'm* upset. Talk about selfless empathy!

Anyway, I'm thinking she might juuuust be about sophisticated/educated enough now to get civ. In a game where I could beat all the AI alone, it'll be fun having her little country (probably all beaufitied like the Netherlands or some other such little country) being a stuanch ally that I can protect/aid. I'm sure her tiny country will need a lot of defending against all the wars of agression her weak military will no doubt inspire).

Talking about history and putting into a sort of visual context for her, with technologies, etc... will be fun to. I don't ocnsider civ in any way really illustrative of true history, but at her age it might serve as a good introduction to the concept of nations, military, politics, diplomacy, the advance of technology and how that can influence wealth, etc...

I'm looking forward to it.

She's always up for a game (she's at that perfect age of adoration), and staying up late with Daddy? Heck yeah! That rocks from her perspective.

Comment

Working...
                              X