SMAC-style UN Council confirmed on GameSHOUT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAC-style UN Council confirmed on GameSHOUT

Hi guys, according to info on the CFC, Sid Meier has confirmed in his GameSHOUT interview that the nation which heads the UN (i.e. Secretary General) can call for votes on issues like Civics changes, embargoes and the like-I am not certain if they are 'binding', but I suspect that a nation which ignores a resolution will probably come under 'diplomatic sanction' (rep loss, possible action against them etc etc).

Also, Soren teasingly came into the GameSHOUT thread and mentioned the following:

yeah, I was nervous too. There's a lot more to talk about diplomacy (trade routes, embargoes, war plans, permanent alliances, etc.) but it just vanishes from one's mind on live radio!
    I don't know about you guys, but the diplomatic/trade side of this game is sounding like it is really gonna be the 'killer improved feature' for me.

Yours,
    Aussie_Lurker.

yes, Yes, YES!!!

Holy crap. When people talked about what they wanted from Civ4, I held out the futile hope that they would take the best elements from SMAC ("flavor", SE, UN) and add the best elements of Civ3 (resources).

And I'll be goddamned if it doesn't sound like that is ex-freakin-actly what they're doing!

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

it just keeps getting better
      Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

that was a entertaining interview

just to short in time, and a little choppy despite the DSL bandwith
        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I foresee little sleep in the coming weeks
          A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Secretary General can call for votes on issues like Civics changes, embargoes and the like
            this was not in the smac UN, was it?
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

It was-though in SMAC it was called the Planetary Council-but you had voting on key issues, and lots of bribery/schmoozing to get a favourable vote on an issue you felt strongly about (like becoming head of the council !) I was always suprised this didn't make it into Civ3 actually, but at least it seems to have finally made it in to Civ4 !

Yours,
              Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

Wow, that's awesome news!

I am just wondering if there will be a lot of use for this, since I suppose it will be more or less an end game feature (unless they introduce this kind of thing earlier than historically).
                The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
                - Frank Herbert

Comment

/me crying in happiness for these news.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Martinus
                    Wow, that's awesome news!

I am just wondering if there will be a lot of use for this, since I suppose it will be more or less an end game feature (unless they introduce this kind of thing earlier than historically).
                    Even if it is limited to the late game its got to be a massive improvement to the late game tedium of Civ 3

I think Diplomacy has been improved throughout the game and this is merely the icing on the cake, a very tasty and delicious cake
                    A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Sounds wonderful!

Comment

I thought in Smac you could only vote for someone to win a diplomatic victory...

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                          I thought in Smac you could only vote for someone to win a diplomatic victory...
                          No way. There was a number of proposals you could vote for, including lowering and raising the global sea levels or salvaging the Unity Core (which was extra cash).

I wonder what kind of resolutions could be passed in CivIV (besides those already mentioned)?
                          The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
                          - Frank Herbert

Comment

Peace keeping missions.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Maybe that was in one of the SMAC expansions? (never bought those)

Comment

Working...
                              X