Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New screen shots - modern day + new leaders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkG
    why should it be centralized? with a city-by-city approach, you have build culture in all your cities in order to protect them from a high-culture neighbour. with a cerntralized setup a big money-producing capital would give enough "culture protection" to even the tiniest and farthest of cities
    Which in turn would do nothing to prevent the ICS tactics.

I guess some people will whine no matter what.
    The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
    - Frank Herbert

Comment

Which in turn would do nothing to prevent the ICS tactics.
      My understanding is that it will be gold and maintenance fees that prevent the ICS tactics. Adding cities will, somehow, place an additional economic burden on the empire finances that will make it more difficult to expand and build without control.

Comment

...after a certain number of citites I hope. It wouldn't make much sense if adding a city number two would hamper your empire, would it?
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Maybe something like this would work:

For 1 to 6 cities, pay one gold for each city;for 7 to 12, pay two gold for each city.......

In addition, still have corruption penalties based on distance from the palatial city.

Trying to build 100 cities, regardless of their location, might over-burden the economy. And, building that extra city at some far end of the empire may actually cause a loss of income.

Comment

Ah! And here's a quote from the EBGames interview with Barry Caudill:

BC: Another big exploit from previous versions was a strategy lovingly referred to as "settler spam." This tactic was based on the player making a settler in each city as soon as possible and then starting new cities. Lather, rinse, repeat. In Civ III, we added corruption to try to address this, but it wasn't so much a solution as an annoying speed bump. In Civ IV, cities require a maintenance amount that increases with each city. That means settler spammers will find themselves going broke, or with very little money left for research.

Comment

I'm not sure if you totally understood the system I was looking forward to, so I will try and explain how it sounded to me:

Lets say you invest 200gpt into culture. Now, if you have 10 cities, this investment might give you a base of 20 CPs per city per turn. If you had 20 cities, then it might only give your cities 10 CPs per turn. Now, as I understood it, building improvements and Wonders would have a multiplying effect-so a temple might give a +0.5x culture boost-so a 20CP city would have 30CP's per turn after a temple is built. I think such a system would have worked much better, as it would have reduced 'cultural ICS' somewhat (by making it more expensive to maintain culture over a larger number of cities) whilst still retaining the ability for individual cities to become 'Cultural Powerhouses' via the use of improvements, wonders and civics choices. Now it appears this won't be the case . Hope I am wrong.

Yours,
              Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                Tanks
                28 Strength
                2 movement
                9/10 experience

I quess there is an upper limit on promotions

I think it means the Tank has 9 XP and will get its next promotion at 10. It would not be a goood balance if units got their promotions after every battle won.

The city screen's exciting. Lots of stuff .
                all the new screenies

sooo much info to gleam and second guess
                Last edited by Addled Platypus; September 23, 2005, 15:02.
                anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

4 new screenies!!!
                  GameSpot is the world's largest source for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS Vita, Wii PC, 3DS, PSP, DS, video game news, reviews, previews, trailers, walkthroughs, and more.

mainly the world builder!
                  - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                  - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Check this Wargamer mod thread.
                    He who knows others is wise.
                    He who knows himself is enlightened.
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                    X