• Show
Clear All

SMAC has that feature as well.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

My hope is that the helicopters are done better. The way we often use helicopters now is typically to drop in special force troops and then get them out safely. If I remember things right from CivIII, you could send in your special forces, but it was a bit like a suicide mission. Drop some marines behind lines to cut a resource and then write off the marines next turn. One way trip. It would be nice to see this remedied somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by PapaMonkey
        My hope is that the helicopters are done better. (...) Drop some marines behind lines to cut a resource and then write off the marines next turn. One way trip. It would be nice to see this remedied somewhat.
        Good point. We should have a "back to home" kind of a mission: e.g we should select an empty 'copter and "drop it" on a deployed unit. It'll reload it and bring it back to city.
        "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Originally posted by Philotas
          I think it was Civ2 that allowed blocking of access to squares by simply deploying air units to that square. Maybe Civ4 will combine that somehow with the Civ3 bombardment.
          An Air Unit obstacle is meaningless, if not intended as ground support and managed more or less like fast units opportunity fire (if you try to pass near a fast unit, that fast unit try to hit you into the same turn.

As for setting fighter on "scramble on enemy attack, we should be able to set a "bomb on ground enemy in range", "or let you set a target (e.g. a 9 tiles square) and put bomber on "ground support". If any enemy unit show on the target square the bomber automatically take off and try an opportunity strike on the enemy.

I'd enjoy to have cannon and artillery able to be set on same "opportunity mode", too.
          "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
          - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Ground interdiction to prevent movement by air or artillery are generally done differently. Aircraft would loiter above the area waiting for traffic to appear; artillery would continuously bombard the road, though not with a heavy barrage.

Comment

The new screenshots on gamespot show a helicopter that has a movement of 4. Looks a very good thing to me

Comment

Finally, a chopper with the right movement coming from Firaxis! (see SMAC choppers )
                He who knows others is wise.
                He who knows himself is enlightened.
                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

in one of the screenies look liked something to do with a cargo helo

was not a unit, but in a small box

maybe some kind of option

cargo/attack

trying to find it
                  anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Working...
                  X