Air combat information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air combat information

Has there been any information about air combat released? I thought I heard something about how it'd be different than it was in Civ3, but nothing beyond that.

Other than the fact that Tanks can beat spearmen, I don't think anything beyond the very early Industrial age has been discussed.
    GC Magazine|Gamecatcher

Comment

they better not

no industrial talk yet that i have seen
      if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

They can't show us everything, dont you think. The surprise factor must be in every game.
        Owww, I'm so cute! ^_^

Comment

Or else... we won't buy it?

Comment

I'd like to discover it when I get to it in the game

Comment

Originally posted by GAZ082
              They can't show us everything, dont you think. The surprise factor must be in every game.
              Yes, but a lot of talk has been generated about units gaining "special abilities" thru combat. You'd think some examples would be provided for units other than infantry.
              So, would a/c get unit advancements for, say "air-to-air combat", or "air-to-ground" operations? And what about heli's?

I guess I'll be looking for feedback on this early on after the game's release, as well as seeing what the mod'ing capabilities are for governing the AI's aerial abilities.

D

Comment

Originally posted by Darsnan

Yes, but a lot of talk has been generated about units gaining "special abilities" thru combat. You'd think some examples would be provided for units other than infantry.
                So, would a/c get unit advancements for, say "air-to-air combat", or "air-to-ground" operations? And what about heli's?

I guess I'll be looking for feedback on this early on after the game's release, as well as seeing what the mod'ing capabilities are for governing the AI's aerial abilities.

D
                I'm sure I've read that air units are different than ground and sea units as far as promotions go

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre2th
                  I'm sure I've read that air units are different than ground and sea units as far as promotions go
                  Yes, I remember the same line. I suppose it could be too strange to improve an air unit for "fighting in jungle", but you can try do improve some plane on dogfighting, bombing, reconnaince duty...

I mean, they have surely managed naval unit in a different promotion ranking, aren't they? A boat with a plus for defending while in a jungle seems strange enough, IMO.
                  "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                  - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
                    Yes, I remember the same line. I suppose it could be too strange to improve an air unit for "fighting in jungle", but you can try do improve some plane on dogfighting, bombing, reconnaince duty...
                    Have there been comments/ feedback specifically to this effect?

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
                    I mean, they have surely managed naval unit in a different promotion ranking, aren't they?
                    I agree. But here again I have to ask the question "have there been comments/ feedback specifically to this effect", and if so, what are the improvements available to these units?

D

Comment

Originally posted by Darsnan
                      Have there been comments/ feedback specifically to this effect?
                      (...)
                      I agree. But here again I have to ask the question "have there been comments/ feedback specifically to this effect", and if so, what are the improvements available to these units?
                      Not at my best knowledge. I was only thinking about the few words that Firaxis mentioned.
                      "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                      - Admiral Naismith

Comment

The only thing I've read on air combat is that bombardment would be a combination of all the Civ games.

Comment

so you are talking

aerial bombards missing
                          anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Not so much missing as failing to do anything. It still happens.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I think it was Civ2 that allowed blocking of access to squares by simply deploying air units to that square. Maybe Civ4 will combine that somehow with the Civ3 bombardment.

Comment

Working...
                              X