No announcement yet.

Civ4 graphics need some work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed, sandy deserts are more hilly than flat.

Some sandy deserts reach the height of mountains.

rocky deserts do have a lot of flat, but they do have a lot of rocky mountains aswell, just look at Afghanistan.
    be free

Comment

Compare that to Snoopys' or Warpstorms terrain?

Firaxis lose again. So the gameplay had better be good.

They should aim again at improving the overview, which is where the majority of the game time is spent, and I hope the city screens are good...

But with Soren coding the AI from scratch, I don't doubt that we can end up with a good game out of this.
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

what can I say.. I dont like civ4 graphics so far.. hope gameplay will be awesome
        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Well, IIRC desert hills are introduced.
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

You may not want any eye candy at all (as you say) but if im in a little virtual world on a computer game, id rather be commanding animated units, than pushing 2D counters around.

Well, I just remember than in Civ1, with 2D-icons, it never hurt my fun, and I can still ave great fun with Civ1. And I know I'd be unhappy about the eye candy if I didn't have a computer quite capable of handling whatever graphics Civ4 has.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Good graphics and bad gameplay gives a bad game.
              Bad graphics and good gameplay gives a good game.
              Good graphics and good gameplay gives at a minimum a good game with an extra dimension.

IMHO.

I have played several great games with bad graphics, but if it looks good too, that adds to the experience. But also important is the interface. A good game with good graphics but bad interface will probably not last long...
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Civ4's graphics are fine...

plus, Civ4 isn't a FPS... good graphics aren't one of my expectations
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

plus, Civ4 isn't a FPS... good graphics aren't one of my expectations
                  Mine either but it seems to be for other people, or as the gaming companies execs think, almost everyone so they cater to eye candy, spend time and money on graphics and less time and money on gameplay...and that is why we get so many great looking games but no fun to play.

but after playing a game live Civ, I don't pay attention to graphics because after 100 hours + you don't pay attention to graphics anymore but just the game play because you get use to graphics. Graphics are only good for when you first play it the first 20 hours or so, then it's just all blended in toghter.

hmm... I can't set up a poll, can someone set up a poll for me with something like

yes, I want great graphics over gameplay
                  yes, I want great gameplay over graphics
                  yes, I want both

add what ever I might have forgotten.

Thanks

davor

Comment

Originally posted by Yolky
                    but after playing a game live Civ, I don't pay attention to graphics because after 100 hours + you don't pay attention to graphics anymore but just the game play because you get use to graphics. Graphics are only good for when you first play it the first 20 hours or so, then it's just all blended in toghter.
                    The same here... as a matter of fact I installed CivNet a few months ago. I didn't care about the graphics at all, but it was diffecult to play because the controls used back then isn't the same as now

hmm... I can't set up a poll, can someone set up a poll for me with something like

yes, I want both
                    I did a poll like that once, and to no suprise most people voted gameplay over graphics... hey, this is a Civ site afterall
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                      Agreed, sandy deserts are more hilly than flat.

Some sandy deserts reach the height of mountains.

rocky deserts do have a lot of flat, but they do have a lot of rocky mountains aswell, just look at Afghanistan.
                      or Las Vegas. Our mt. Charleston has a peak of 11,918 feet. Which is high enough that it's above the treeline (no trees or plant life can grow up that high).

Deserts are not flat! Despite what the civ3 designers think. They act like every desert looks like the Sahara or the middle east.

Comment

Mine either but it seems to be for other people, or as the gaming companies execs think, almost everyone so they cater to eye candy, spend time and money on graphics and less time and money on gameplay...and that is why we get so many great looking games but no fun to play.

yes, I want both

add what ever I might have forgotten.

Thanks

davor
                        yeah but be careful about when you say you don't pay attention to things after a while. We all said we never paid attention to wonder movies and advisors in civ2 after the first few games. And then they got rid of them. .

It's funny, you only miss them once they are gone.

Comment

Are wonder movies back? Those stupid, antic, wonder pics in Civ 3 were pitiful.
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Yes they are back.

Krill, there are no city screens (that is if you are referring to the city view).
                            be free

Comment

So far I've really liked the graphics in Civ IV. I especially like that "cartoonish" look.

By the way, in that world map posted by Mark, I see circles with people in them. Is that pointing to where your units are? I also see some with a lion in it. I presume those are some of the wild animals I've been hearing about . . . yes?

Comment

Originally posted by Chronus9
                                So far I've really liked the graphics in Civ IV. I especially like that "cartoonish" look.

By the way, in that world map posted by Mark, I see circles with people in them. Is that pointing to where your units are? I also see some with a lion in it. I presume those are some of the wild animals I've been hearing about . . . yes?

Makes sense.

I'm not a fan of the unit circle thingies. I assume it's just a special view of some sort, but it's ugly and doesn't look very clear

Comment

Working...
                                X