Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ4 graphics need some work

Just saw the ROL 3d graphics posted here:

I never thought I was an eyecandy guy but I was turned off by Civ4s graphics and now seeing the ROL screen shot I feel civ4definietely needs a little more effort. I hope these pre-screenies for civ4 are not the final graphics.
    Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

straight from your post

Originally posted by E
    to each his own...
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Nice mountains. The coast line isn't bad, too.
      RIAA sucks
      The Optimistas
      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Btw, I would like to see some screenshots with the grid turned "on". If we have a grid at all...
        RIAA sucks
        The Optimistas
        I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

I don't want nice graphics, but AWSOME game play. Graphics are good enought for me. I am sick and tired of games going on graphics and not game play.

Comment

Civ is Civ and RoN is RoN. I don´t see why they should look alike.
            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Yolky
              I don't want nice graphics, but AWSOME game play. Graphics are good enought for me. I am sick and tired of games going on graphics and not game play.

So if ROL has great gameplay aswell, will you and people like you, stop using that same ignorant excuse?

Civ is Civ and RoN is RoN. I don´t see why they should look alike.
              You're the first person to imply that RoN and Civ should not look alike; if you were aware of that, then of course it would be silly if they looked alike.

--------

Let the Graphic Designers handle the graphics and the Programmers handle the programming.

The leaders know Civ's market audience and is catering to them; but they are not letting the rest of us down, they have built it in such a way that the graphics can be changed. You could probably make it look even better than ROL. As soon as I get CivIV, I am going to see how far I can go with the graphics.
              be free

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py

You're the first person to imply that RoN and Civ should not look alike; if you were aware of that, then of course it would be silly if they looked alike.
                Ehh, I think you lost me there My post was a response to E´s OP.
                I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

I used to not care about graphics but now I want a good game that looks good also...why not? The graphics for RON look really excellent but I too don't expect such high quality from Civ IV. That said, I don't like real time at all so I won't be getting RON and will be buying Civ IV.

In CTP I always liked the mountains, particularly the snow capped ones. Then Civ 3 came out and the mountains looked blah. The mountains in Civ IV look blah also.

Boring mountains in 3 dimentions are still boring mountains.
                  Long time member @ Apolyton
                  Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Hm,
                    if Firaxis has the Budget to either hire a good AI-Designer who is able to create an AI which doesn´t need to cheat to beat the human,
                    or an good Graphics-Designer who will make ioncredible Graphics, I´d always choose the AI-Designer

But well, as Lancer said, sometimes it´s the small things which don´t need the best Graphic designers who are able to utilize everything modern graphic cards have to offer, to add flavor to a game
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I like a bit of eye candy here and there, but I'd much rather have Firaxis fix up the gameplay. I can download user terrain mods later (get crackin' Sn00py )

if Firaxis has the Budget to either hire a good AI-Designer who is able to create an AI which doesn´t need to cheat to beat the human
                      It's just not really possible. At this point in human development, we lack the ability to make an AI that smart. Human ingenuity will outwit an AI no matter how good it is right now. It's just a matter of time.

Not to mention they already have an excellent AI guy in Soren...

Comment

ROL is still an RTS game...

I DON'T WANT top-notch graphics in Civ4. Top notch graphics will make the system requirements higher, decrease performance, especially in the late game, and add nothing to the gameplay.

Call me a hardcore or conservative civver, but all I want are functional graphics, I need no eye candy in Civ.

In a RPG, graphics serve a point to make the world more immersive. In a shooter, graphics are important because shooters are like action movies - largely about being visually impressive. In a Civ game, great graphics are not a requirement.

That said, I'm pretty certain that not all of the graphics we have seen in screenies are final ones.
                        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                          ROL is still an RTS game...

I DON'T WANT top-notch graphics in Civ4. Top notch graphics will make the system requirements higher, decrease performance, especially in the late game, and add nothing to the gameplay.
                          You can have better graphics without hiking up the system requirements, if the minimum remains the same (speaking as someone with a low-end system).

Call me a hardcore or conservative civver, but all I want are functional graphics, I need no eye candy in Civ.
                          So would you be happy with simple coloured symbols moving around the screen? Theyre the most functional.

In a RPG, graphics serve a point to make the world more immersive. In a shooter, graphics are important because shooters are like action movies - largely about being visually impressive. In a Civ game, great graphics are not a requirement.
                          Every game benefits from immersive graphics.
                          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                          CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                          One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

What is ROL?

Comment

Rise of Legends.
                              He who knows others is wise.
                              He who knows himself is enlightened.
                              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                              X