Apolyton Weekly Survey III: New Feautures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton Weekly Survey III: New Feautures

This thread is our thrid Apolyton Survey, where the word "weekly" is to be taken in the broadest sense .

By now, we probably know, at least in general terms, about most Civ4 feautures, so:

Which new or improved feautures in Civ4 are you most looking forward to?

Feel free to speculate about the details of how the new feautures work, what effect they will have on gameplay and whether the new feautures will help make Civ4 as good as we all want it to be.
    Religion (all new)
    12.20%
    Civics (basically like SMAC Social Engineering)
    21.14%
    New combat (Promotions, single-strength value, unit specific bonuses)
    6.50%
    Great People (like "leaders" in various categories with special abilities)
    2.44%
    New tech tree (several routes to each tech, more flexibility)
    5.69%
    Improved resource system (more resources, health, happiness and strategic, some needing special improvements)
    4.88%
    Improved multiplayer (out of the box support, persistent game sever, more options for MP)
    6.50%
    Reduced micromanagement (no need to do the same tedious tasks each turn)
    14.63%
    Modding capabilities (XML data, Python scripts and the SDK)
    23.58%
    I don't know
    0.00%
    Other
    2.44%
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

If the modability delivers on its promise, then Civ4 will have an extremely long and interesting life. The fact that the community can program AI behaviour and script events allows for fantastic community packs.

I look forward to it more than any other aspect
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

even tho i think it'll have the least impact on the game, I'm most looking forward to Religion.

I like to roleplay my games, and I cant think of anything adding more to that dimension than going on holy crusades and whatnot.
      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

The modding, of course.

Comment

I really hope moddability doesnt turn out to be civ4s best feature.

I voted for reduced MM (compared to civ3), otherwise i might not play it at all.
          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
          CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
          One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Civics
            "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
            --George Bernard Shaw
            A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
            --Woody Allen

Comment

Modding.

Comment

I have to say that I really agree with Maquiladora on this one. If moddability turns out to be civ4's best feature, it means that the vanilla game would really suck and it needs other people to make it good.

While moddability can give games a longer life, I prefer to play the unmodded version as long as possible and only when I get bored of it I try some variations.
                "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                --George Bernard Shaw
                A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                --Woody Allen

Comment

Improved resource system.
                  Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                  Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I look most forward to reducing micro management.
                    The less tedious tasks to do, the more attention can be devoted to more pleasing parts of the game.
                    He who knows others is wise.
                    He who knows himself is enlightened.
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

where the word "weekly" is to be taken in the broadest sense .

Meh, you can't pre-empt jokes in your first sentence...That's just not done.

[picksUpPhone]
                      * call costs 2$ *
                      "I don't know"
                      [/]

The whole game really, it was time for a new version.
                      If I have to name one, iI would have to say"combat".
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Tiberius
                        I have to say that I really agree with Maquiladora on this one. If moddability turns out to be civ4's best feature, it means that the vanilla game would really suck and it needs other people to make it good.
                        I disagree. Moddability can and will be the best feature even if the vanilla is amazing, because with the amount they are talking about, the game can be extended to a very extreme degree, not to mention converted into practically a different game. I have some very exciting ideas for the SDK, if it is as broad as I hope it is.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                          I look most forward to reducing micro management.
                          The less tedious tasks to do, the more attention can be devoted to more pleasing parts of the game.
                          What if you consider MM a pleaseing part of the game? I enjoy trying to squeeze the most from a limited amount of land. MM is the best way to do this.
                          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Then go play Victoria : tongue :

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                              Then go play Victoria : tongue :
                              It ain't easy to squeeze everything out of oyur country in Victoria. I played a game as Haiti, and I barelymanage to increase the GNP tenfold in one century (and the population fivefold).

I couldn't make Haiti into an economic Juggernaught despite my best efforts
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                              X