Wonders that aren't wonderful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonders that aren't wonderful?

Some wonders should flake out, such as a space shuttle wonder. When the things were being built they were heralded as wonders that would take us on a great leap into space. They weren't, but what if they were? How do you know something is going to be a wonder while you're building it? Some wonders should flake out. You build the Pyramids and you get a pile of rocks with a dead guy inside. Duds...having them enables the failures of civilizations to be tried again because they might work out this time around.

What do you think?

Also, besides the space shuttle, what wonder duds might be used?

What are those stone age rocks in Ireland called again? That could be one.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

I believe Stonehenge is what you're thinking of there

I'd bet that a lot of people here will be dead set against "flaky" wonders. Some people (myself included) dislike the thought of things that are out of the player's control. Starting a wonder and having someone beat you to it is one thing, but building it for dozens of turns and having it not do anything at all? Not much fun in my opinion

Comment

that's when you smash the game into itty bitty pieces.

anyways, that's what time limits on wonders are for. Some wonders are just better than others...

Comment

Re: Wonders that aren't wonderful?

Originally posted by Lancer

What are those stone age rocks in Ireland called again? That could be one.

Stonehenge is in Wiltshire, England.

Newgrange is perhaps the most famous Neolithic Irish site.

The three main prehistoric sites of the Brú na Bóinne Complex, Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth, are situated on the north bank of the River Boyne 50 km north of Dublin. This is Europe's largest and most important concentration of prehistoric megalithic art. The monuments there had social, economic, religious and funerary functions.
        The three main prehistoric sites of the Brú na Bóinne Complex, Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth, are situated on the north bank of the River Boyne 50 km north of Dublin. This is Europe's largest and most important ...

Winter Solstice sunrise at Newgrange Megalithic Passage Tomb - December 2004. Slow farewell to winter after a dazzling solstice by Eileen Battersby printed in The Irish Times newspaper on the 22nd December 2004.

Photograph taken inside Newgrange on 21st December, the actual morning of the winter solstice mid-point in 2004:
        Attached Files
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

what so called modern man made wonder would you like to see?

nothing realy grabs my attention to mention
          anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I think it might be wise for them to bring back the "Wonder experation". Basicaly a Wonder is destroyed/vanishes once you reach a partiuclar tecnology/age of the world/other wonder.

This would help give us greater historical accuracy and reduce snowballing as the player cant hoard every wonder on earth.

Duds could come in the form of a Wonder expiring earlier then normal. Anything more severe then that is lible to result in the smashing into a million pieces problem noted earlier. It would also need to be a rare event perhaps linked too how many wonders you control so its more likly to hit the guy who has the most (Think of it along the lines of "your people are no longer impressed by the INSERT WONDER due to the fact you have so many more wonderfull wonders).
            Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
              what so called modern man made wonder would you like to see?

nothing realy grabs my attention to mention

Modern-ish- something like the Great Exhibition, or the Expo, or the International Exhibition- big trade fairs and international/national celebrations of art and industry, that also left us great buildings in San Francisco, and Melbourne, London and Kingston and Paris, and so on.

The Royal Exhibition Building and its surrounding Carlton Gardens were designed for the great international exhibitions of 1880 and 1888 in Melbourne. The building and grounds were designed by Joseph Reed. The ...

World's fairs and expositions:

A Compendium of Resources from the Invisible Web - 70 Newsfeeds - 790 Categories - 46,000 Resources - 1228 Pages 
              Attached Files

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Re: Re: Wonders that aren't wonderful?

Originally posted by molly bloom

Stonehenge is in Wiltshire, England.
                only cuz that rat bastard merlin stole it. . .
                By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]

Duds could come in the form of a Wonder expiring earlier then normal. Anything more severe then that is lible to result in the smashing into a million pieces problem noted earlier. It would also need to be a rare event perhaps linked too how many wonders you control so its more likly to hit the guy who has the most (Think of it along the lines of "your people are no longer impressed by the INSERT WONDER due to the fact you have so many more wonderfull wonders).
                  I like this idea

Comment

Ick. No.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

If given the opption

I would try a game or two

Comment

Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
                        I think it might be wise for them to bring back the "Wonder experation". Basicaly a Wonder is destroyed/vanishes once you reach a partiuclar tecnology/age of the world/other wonder.

This would help give us greater historical accuracy and reduce snowballing as the player cant hoard every wonder on earth.

Yes, this is better.

molly, interesting info
                        Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Uriel's Machine

A detailed investigation and fact finding about Neo/megolithic sites

Highly recommended

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                            Ick. No.
                            It's a great idea. How impressed can your people really be when you have so many great wonders? Some of the older ones should lose importance.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

It's a great idea. How impressed can your people really be when you have so many great wonders? Some of the older ones should lose importance.

The way that Stonehenge and the Pyramids haven't ? Or the Taj Mahal or Hindu temples in India ?

Their 'initial' or 'primary' importance for the time they were built in is replaced in many cases by an association with say, a renewed sense of nationalism, or income generation from tourism.

So that even today although Egypt is a mainly Muslim country, it still promotes its Egyptian pre-Islamic history with the Pyramids, and Iran does the same thing with its pre-Islamic golden age buildings from the Achaemenid and Sassanid dynasties.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X