Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three months is a long time to scratch the civ itch - apply for a copy of CtP2 & AoM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, my AOM should be in the mail... Wonder how long does it take, from AU to EU...

It sounded too interesting to pass up.
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I did create a Civ3 graphics mod for ctp2 that looks like civ3 but plays like ctp2.

Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Originally posted by E
        I did create a Civ3 graphics mod for ctp2 that looks like civ3 but plays like ctp2.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=130520
        Amazing stuff!
        RIAA sucks
        The Optimistas
        I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Deadline passed...
          Anun Ik Oba has not PMed me, so the game now becomes available to
          skrobism
          Using your kids to try to sway the judge is a nice touch...

PM me before the next deadline - Tuesday, August 16 - 12 Noon, CST USA.
          Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
          ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

A note to people.

The full AOM game is like a book + sequels. It is long but I do not mind that as things continue to develop. 200 advances, over 200 different units, 64 building, over 50 wonders. It has at least 3 distinct eras.

If you want some hints, stancarp posted his strategy and milestones he aims for at this link.
            Also proud to be an AOM Warrior.

Comment

I have tried one game with AoM. So far, I'd say it's not the best game I've played, but much, and then I mean muvh better than CTP2 vanilla. Much deeper for instance. What bugs me, is that it's pretty hard. I was right in the middle of my usual builder strategy from other civ games, when I was attacked by my only neighbour at the time. After taking his four cities, I played on, expanding by settlers. Then, out of nowhere, I got DoWed by 3 other civs I'd discovered(who all denied me any treaties at all, not even a formal peace) at the course of 2 or 3 turns. Two of them were so far away that they were no threat. But one of the others took two cities from me before I could stop him. Now those cities is back in my hands. But right in the middle of these wars, I lost half my empire to a large swarm of barbarians(events) and so far I've got some 4-5 Dark Ages events in the course of a little more number of turns. I am in no position to deal with this, as no civs wants to give me any deals. My reputation is good according to the game.

Well, it was a good game until this dirty business happened...
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Much deeper for instance. What bugs me, is that it's pretty hard.
                by Nikolai

That is a compliment for the game(AOM). The original ctp2 was voted the biggest disappointment of 2001 because it was a total pushover.

However, not withstanding that, you are not the first to quit their first game of AOM. Took me several goes and reading the startegy manual to develop a plan, and that is what the designer says you must do. AOM is not about building a few cities and moving a few units.

Instead of quitting altogether after one attempt, I had a couple of more goes and worked out the best strategy. And boy do you need a strategy. The scripted historical events such as barbarian spawn are not that bad (except the Dark Ages) and you can turn them to your advantage if you are good enough (eg, use a wonder unit to turn those barbarians into slaves and prisoners and capture those barbarian cities for no increase in your aggression level) . If you prepare for the Dark Ages, (and you ONLY have 300 turns warning as it is in the readme together with a list of things to do), you can navigate it without too much trouble.

Every civ style game to date eventually develops the same way, you get to a certain size then grind your way to victory. AOM is the first game AFAIK that requires you to keep thinking and planning right until you are about to see the victory movie. It is very civ, but also has a little city builder in it, a little total war and a little bit of war game (which I really like).
                Also proud to be an AOM Warrior.

Comment

Nikolai,

After 3 months playing by a wider audience I accepted that the diplomacy of AOM needed to be upgraded to match the rest of AOM, especially the more focused and aggressive AI. That has now been done.

Those changes are available for free download as shown earlier in this thread.

The changes make the ai movmement more subject to the diplomatic state between the human and the ai, passive ai personalities are easier to negotiate with, but if your aggression level goes to high, i.e., you become like a Hitler or Napoleon, then the AI will start to gang up on you again, just as happened to those famous gentlemen.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                    What bugs me, is that it's pretty hard...Well, it was a good game until this dirty business happened...
                    The greatest compliment you can make about any game is that you cannot put your brain on cruise control for long stretches of the game.

The best games make you think - and the events can be managed if you take a long-term approach to them.

Don't give up - try again!

civ players should be all over this game, but perhaps the challenge factor is too much...
                    Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                    ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

"I have tried one game with AoM"
                      by Nikolai.

Is that how you got to be an Emperor Nikolai, quitting the first time you found a game that fights back?

Pretty obvious from reading about AOM that it is not your stereotype Civ game where you use your "usual builder strategy from other civ games". The design notes for AOM point out that the biggest single activity of human beings has been war, and I agree. IMHO a "usual builder strategy" should not win you any civ style game and it certainly will not win you a game of AOM.

Comment

Why on Earth are everybody thinking I am quitting? I said I quit that particular game, as I know several others did with this game too, and like most people do with new games. The only thing I did, was to tell you what I thought of the game after one game. Man, gimme a break... I didn't read any of the documentation because I like to learn the game a little by myself before I try to get other people's strategies.
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

stancarp: I tried to download the strategy guide, but I seem to need a password? I do btw have the latest version of the game AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by DrKazanovaKK
                            IMHO a "usual builder strategy" should not win you any civ style game and it certainly will not win you a game of AOM.
                            Well, I have to disagree in the sense that I think it should be possible to win a civ-style game with a builder strategy, absolutely. Maybe not a "usual" one, but it should be possible. Yes, war is important, but the great thing about civ is the fantasy aspect of it. If I want to have that utopian civ that thrives peacefully, it should be a feasible option. That's because civ is overall NOT a war game. It's an empire-builder, and there is a difference.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Well, I have to disagree in the sense that I think it should be possible to win a civ-style game with a builder strategy, absolutely. Maybe not a "usual" one, but it should be possible. Yes, war is important, but the great thing about civ is the fantasy aspect of it. If I want to have that utopian civ that thrives peacefully, it should be a feasible option. That's because civ is overall NOT a war game. It's an empire-builder, and there is a difference.
                              I agree wholeheartily.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                                stancarp: I tried to download the strategy guide, but I seem to need a password? I do btw have the latest version of the game AFAIK.
                                It's in this thread at the AOM forum: General/Comments/Suggestions -> Can't download strategy guide

Comment

Working...
                                X