Initial attack blues in CivIV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solver
    I actually liked the different attack/defend strengths. It made for decisions - do I want to be aggressive or defensive?

That was no decision. In Civ3, for instance, it meant that you put the unit with the best defense value in cities, then spam the unit with the best attack number a lot and attack the enemy ad nauseum.
    I disagree. Yes, I made sure to keep good defenders in cities. But rather than simply send stacks of modern armor out, I would mix in some mech infantry. The MA would do the attacking and the MI would be there to protect the MA from counterattack. The same thing would occur with cavalry and riflemen. Since the better defensive units are usually slower, the question becomes "Do I rush into an attack with good attackers, leaving them vulnerable, or do I make sure to wait for the good defenders?" As much as posters lament the lack of a need for combined arms forces, having units which are good at attack, but not at defense, would seem to reward those players who can properly manage combned arms.
    The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
      I actually liked the different attack/defend strengths. It made for decisions - do I want to be aggressive or defensive?

That was no decision. In Civ3, for instance, it meant that you put the unit with the best defense value in cities, then spam the unit with the best attack number a lot and attack the enemy ad nauseum.
      that's not what I did...

Comment

when in doubt lead off with a bombard unit

I counting on my first three bombards to miss!

thank you RNG gods in advance
        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
          when in doubt lead off with a bombard unit
          Absolutely, once I have something better than catapults. They suck. (And trebuchets aren't much better!) There's nothing like bringing in some arty to reduce the defenders to 1 HP each before unleashing the hounds to feast on the crippled remains.
          The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

I'm not sure what you mean by "first attack." First attack of the game? The first from a stack? What?
            Boris, first attack of each turn.
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

I'm not sure what you mean by "first attack." First attack of the game? The first from a stack? What?

Originally posted by Lancer

all those other deffintions work as well
              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by patcon

I disagree. Yes, I made sure to keep good defenders in cities. But rather than simply send stacks of modern armor out, I would mix in some mech infantry. The MA would do the attacking and the MI would be there to protect the MA from counterattack. The same thing would occur with cavalry and riflemen. Since the better defensive units are usually slower, the question becomes "Do I rush into an attack with good attackers, leaving them vulnerable, or do I make sure to wait for the good defenders?" As much as posters lament the lack of a need for combined arms forces, having units which are good at attack, but not at defense, would seem to reward those players who can properly manage combned arms.
                I agree with patcon 100%.

Comment

I've seen this in cIIIv numerous times, actually sometimes it seems like it's not only the first unit this happens to either...
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

So you too have noticed a first attack failure rate far above average?
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                      I haven't experienced it, then. I'm currently playing a game on Emperor level, and I have definitely won the initial attacks of turns many times.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

never heard about this
                        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Working...
                        X