Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When I get Civ4, the first thing I'll do is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yin26
    You can't rate the game only based on a small map with many civs.

Hopefully having found some of the game's best and worst elements, I'll expand the map size to see if that changes much. If there are no show stoppers, this is when I'll finally start simply to play the game for pleasure and can begin to think about a proper review based on solid experience.

(regarding small maps, lots of civs, etc.) What I'm testing there specifically is AI aggressiveness and diplomacy. Abundant resources and land map helps this. And, frankly, if the war aspect of the game is flawed, then I'll be quite worried (I don't want Civ to be all about war, but the war aspect needs to be handled well). More generally just to finish a few games as a tutorial. Only if I find something really broken here will I walk away with a conclusion about much. From there, larger maps to get more nuance, test peace-time strategy, etc.
    Even so, you can't base a review on only a few games.

Comment

Lord: Wow. You're determined. Where do I say "a few games"? Why not just wait and read the review. Make your decision then. Thanks.
      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Lord: Wow. You're determined. Where do I say "a few games"? Why not just wait and read the review. Make your decision then. Thanks.
        You're welcome. I fail to see how one can play more than a few games in two-four weeks.

Comment

Read the review. If it's any good, let me know. If it's not up to your level, please let me know that, too.
          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Read the review. If it's any good, let me know. If it's not up to your level, please let me know that, too.
            Elitism be Yarrr and woo

Comment

Fascinating.

Comment

Play with the editor.

Comment

there's no option to come to apolyton and tell how much the game really sucks (when it doesn't)

So I voted, I'll play the game and try out all the new features.

Comment

Look for my Suburbs!!!!!!!
                    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

I'm sorry, the whole thing just looks so piggish and ugly, I recoil in disgust everytime I see a screenshot.

I am no fan of 3D graphics but infinitly better ones exist out there than the ones being used.

Of course I will buy it, it is Civ, but I won't like it.
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

You and I are cut from the same graphics mold, I guess. Anyway, it's heresy to speak ill of any aspect of the game. Prepare yourself!

Comment

It IS herecy to speak bad of a whole game because of graphics. From the screenshots, I'm not a huge fan of the graphics either, but it appears to me that they may be quite functional in game, which is good.

Heck, SMAC was excellent, and it had horrible graphics, very dark, units impossible to tell apart, etc. Civ4 graphics seem to at least be functional - and as long as the game has good gameplay, I'll be happy no matter what.
                          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                            It IS herecy to speak bad of a whole game because of graphics. From the screenshots, I'm not a huge fan of the graphics either, but it appears to me that they may be quite functional in game, which is good.

Heck, SMAC was excellent, and it had horrible graphics, very dark, units impossible to tell apart, etc. Civ4 graphics seem to at least be functional - and as long as the game has good gameplay, I'll be happy no matter what.
                            Not to mention the supposed easy-modibility, which will allow modders to vastly improve the graphics.

Comment

Open game, install, ignore family, grow smelly over time, braid myu beard between turns, have big fight about not spending time with family and being smelly, capitulate like a coward, only play when wife is away or sleeping.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver

Actually, in the case of SMAC the graphics interfered with my ability to play the game so much that I believe they are a valid reason alone to speak badly of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X