No announcement yet.

A question of air superiority

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colonies should have an automatic sea connection. They really were worthless in Civ3, because anything your wanted to colonize was usually so far away it took forever to build a road, or on the other side of a body of water.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
      Colonies should have an automatic sea connection. They really were worthless in Civ3, because anything your wanted to colonize was usually so far away it took forever to build a road, or on the other side of a body of water.
      Why would a colony surrounded by land have a sea connection?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Nuclear

Why would a colony surrounded by land have a sea connection?
        At the risk of diverting this thread, there was previously on this board the suggestion that workers could have a "dock" capability similar to colonies, radar towers, etc. Say the best place to build a city put it just unland and therefore unable to build a harbor, or a resource was too far away to reasonably connect via roads, connect the city or colony to a coast tile by road then use a worker to build a dock. This would allow trade connection via water, but that's all.
        The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

So that when they are by a coast line they can actually be helpful to you.

In ancient times colonies were almost exclusivly on the water because that was the only way to travel through the undeveloped areas.
          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

So that when they are by a coast line they can actually be helpful to you.

In ancient times colonies were almost exclusivly on the water because that was the only way to travel through the undeveloped areas.
            I am not disputing the fact that in reality that many colonies were on water, but things work differently in Civ.

Comment

Unfortunetly

Comment

Those ancient colonies weren't colonies in the Civ sense, though. Civ colonies are really more like mining camps or something like that. The colonies that the Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans, Venetians, Arabs, Chinese, etc. had were either cities in their own right or enclaves within other civ's cities.

Comment

I think colonies should become more of what they were/are in the real world, small and specialized cities.

Comment

Since this is straying pretty far from "air superiority", I'm going to start a new thread on colonies.
                    The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat
                      I think airpower needs to be somewhere in between civ3 and SMAC. In civ3, airpower was too weak. In SMAC it was too strong.
                      I hope, AI would have at least some idea of air superiority. In my only one finished civ3 (long game, folks) my Babs conquered French continent. The idea was to have 2-continent civ with hidden temple on another continent.

Greeks were across French/Greek straight and were the best civ in that game. They started late-game war with me. I did not have many forces and did not intend to have the war. So, I removed military from cities beyond the range of bombardment.

Greeks continued to bomb land improvements, but never managed to land some marines into the cities of mine. Not a single landing !!!

Even if they landed once, I would have recaptured the city.

Conclusion: AI cannot use air and sea superiority even when it exists. So I do not care about it being too strong, if AI cannot use it.

Comment

Working...
                      X