Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PETITION: Delay Civ 4 Until Easter...Please Sign!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know that, Yin. I'm not trolling or something. And trust me, Civ IV will be better than you think.

After all, it is totally (as said) moddable. This will keep everybody happy. The easy pleased masses (me and Dr. Zoidberg) will play the vanilla game at low levels, the modders will redesign the entire game, Poly will organize the "1st Civ IV DG" (I'm in! ), Firaxis will made a LOT of money and you will say "I told you!".
    The world is a perfect place to play civ...
    RIAA sucks
    The Optimistas
    I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Yin:

Firaxis has significantly changed since Civ3 vanilla came out. You left this forum after being disappointed by Civ3 vanilla, and you missed what happened in the way Firaxis does things:

1. The most important thing is that Firaxis has finally acknowledged how fricking useful betatesting is. Civ3 was rushed, some patches were unbalanced because they weren't thoroughly playtested before being released. Firaxis has learned from it, and it used a betatest team for Civ3 Conquests. It happens that Civ3 Conquests is the most polished product of the whole Civ3 series.

2. The Civ franchise doesn't benefit from an automatic goodwill from the press anymore. Play the World has gotten mediocre marks. This has forced Firaxis to improve the quality of the product, as has been seen by Conquests (which also shipped with Play the World included in it).

3. The Firaxians have learned from the disappointment in Civ3, and they are now avoiding to hype the product with false promises. Before Civ3, they mentioned every project they expected to be in the game - and many eventually weren't part of the game (such as a fully functional editor - which happened only once Conquests came out). After Civ3 came out, they completely changed their strategy: when talking about future patches or expansions, everything was "no comment" until they were sure the feature would be in.

4. Firaxis wasn't abandoned by one half of the team in mid-development this time.

5. Infogreed has finally stopped being the editor of the Civ franchise. It's Rockstar now, and they make a point at having high quality games.

Overall, your point (that the game should wait a few extra monthes in order to be polished) would be valid if you had written after Civ3 vanilla came out. However, it's completely outdated now.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Spiffor:

Those are some good points, I grant you. Still, do you think that Civ 4 will be much more than a very polished warmed-over game?
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Yin, I seriously think that you want to stick out in these forums just going against the rest of the people, well IT IS this way, i did not have to think a lot about it .

This thread is the prove of that and also of the degree of stupidity your posts have achived. Dont come with the BS about free speach and that i can read other posts, etc. etc. I just want you to know that almost 100% of your posts are meaningless and thats because i have not read them all.

80% of the guys here are hardcore or at least very devote players and YOU know that we would never tolerate such a delay.

Dont want to be rude, but your presence annoys me. You are like the ugly chick that is always negative because she never got scored. And never will because that attitude.

You can critic, but when i read "basically we get a CIV III with 3d graphics", says to me that you have only scratched the surface of the game and come to Apolyton to say bull ****.
          Owww, I'm so cute! ^_^

Comment

yin

I personally agree with everything that Spiffor mentioned, and I believe that Civ4 will have significantly more polish than Civ3. It sounds like it will have out of the box multiplayer and editor functions. Also one of the previews indicated that wonder movies and other small touches like that might come back. I know the betatesters won't get all of the bugs, but I don't think that Civ4 will have too many bugs. (crosses my fingers) Civ3 was subpar in terms of polish and features when first released. I mean it wasn't until they released Civ3 that they acknowledged Civ3 didn't include multiplayer. I don't think that Civ4 will have those problems, simply because I think losing half your team in middevelopment cycle is a complete disaster.

I do worry about other things like balance choices that suits my personal preferences, but delaying the game till easter or even till easter ten years from now won't change that.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
              4. Firaxis wasn't abandoned by one half of the team in mid-development this time.

5. Infogreed has finally stopped being the editor of the Civ franchise. It's Rockstar now, and they make a point at having high quality games.

Overall, your point (that the game should wait a few extra monthes in order to be polished) would be valid if you had written after Civ3 vanilla came out. However, it's completely outdated now.
              Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                My biggest hope is that they've changed MP so that games dont have to be played 'all at once', but instead can be saved and continued later (which they seem to have done). My worst fear is that they will pull 'a CIV3' and remove MP.
                Go read the previews at Gamespot and other major sites. That was among the first issues they addressed when they sat down to talk about cIV.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/civilizationiv/preview_6129411.html
                For Civ IV, Firaxis went ahead and designed a multiplayer game first, which has paid off dividends for the single-player game. "We got all the rules set using the multiplayer engine, and then by using that, we learned what players would do. And that helped us write the AI," Briggs said.
                korn: Wonder movies are definitely back.
                http://pc.ign.com/articles/614/614551p3.html
                Barry Caudill: We have definitely ramped up the production values in this version. The new 3D world and all that it brings will certainly up the ante over any previous version of the game, we're hiring voice talent for various parts, and I am happy to announce the return of wonder movies...we'll have over 45 spectacular movies in the game.

Comment

I don't think delaying a release equals a better quality. Developers would probably add new features or try to 'improve' features and at the new release date you would still have the same problems.

Also don't forget they are already working on this for 2 years. You cannot keep a developer team on the payroll for a long period without them producing something that generates money.

Last but not least, some bugs only appear when a massive number of users are playing it so delaying it will not change this....

We can only hope that in the 2 years they worked on this project they had a good quality plan and off course stuck to it...

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                    Dr Zoidberg: Don't get me wrong...I don't begrudge anybody's right to enjoy Civ 4, and I do think you know a good game when you see one. At the same time, I don't feel the need to be quiet on such topics as warmed-over remakes, etc.

Perhaps the profits made off of Civ 4 will push Firaxis to do something far more original and engaging. Would be nice.
                    It´s ok. You wouldn´t be Yin if you were on the same side as everyone else

Didn´t you at one time plan a game of your own? Whatever happened to that? I would really like to see a TBS game done by someone who has given the subject as much thought as you have! If Vel can do his Candle´Bre I´m sure you can too
                    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by GAZ082
                      Yin, I seriously think that you want to stick out in these forums just going against the rest of the people, well IT IS this way, i did not have to think a lot about it .

This thread is the prove of that and also of the degree of stupidity your posts have achived. Dont come with the BS about free speach and that i can read other posts, etc. etc. I just want you to know that almost 100% of your posts are meaningless and thats because i have not read them all.

80% of the guys here are hardcore or at least very devote players and YOU know that we would never tolerate such a delay.

Dont want to be rude, but your presence annoys me. You are like the ugly chick that is always negative because she never got scored. And never will because that attitude.

You can critic, but when i read "basically we get a CIV III with 3d graphics", says to me that you have only scratched the surface of the game and come to Apolyton to say bull ****.
                      * Dr Z turns over his flame resistant desk and takes cover

Comment

I don't want it delayed til easter, what if I'm dead by then. Not that I'm planning on it, but I would rather get a few months of joy out of it, than wait in anticipation only to pass away before an easter release. You never know when you'll be hit by a bus.

Comment

Well, there´s nothing that says that you can´t be hit by a bus before december. So, then you´re ****ed anyway...

Comment

[q=Spiffor]Overall, your point (that the game should wait a few extra monthes in order to be polished) would be valid if you had written after Civ3 vanilla came out. However, it's completely outdated now.[/q]

Don't both Spiff. Yin is predisposed to hate any new Civ game that is being announced. I wonder if he liked anything in SMAC (IMO the best Civ-type game ever made).
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Nah, I'm not going to engage in flame wars. Not my style. Like I said, I think I've made my arguments, and those who read them, I'm sure, will at least understand the spirit in which they were posted: I want a great Civ 4, not Civ 2.7 -- Still, MP from the ground up and good modding are quite nice.

Imran: There was an awful lot I liked about SMAC, though the color scheme made my head hurt. Don't know. Maybe I'm just very sensitive visually...and I mean in a medical way. If I don't have certain lighting and resolution at work, I can't work for more than a few hours without getting a bad headache. I know most people aren't like that, so I'm cursed, I guess.

Specifically, I was making SMAC *the* game for me to play until Yang had his infinite range missiles (a huge bug that killed play on huge maps). Indeed, this is where the name Yin came from because I so detested that problem with Yang.

That said, I enjoyed the role play elements (even inspiring books). I like the idea of terraforming, even if it became tedious. I like the idea of the planet revolting if you mistreat it (though that, too, could have been done perhaps a little less heavy handed). The workshop was a neat idea if cumbersome at times. Of course, since I never look for an MP angle (I tried a few PBEM games), it wasn't long before I discovered the AI's weaknesses and the whole thing (especially with the inifinite range missile bug) lost me. Overall, though, I felt it had some really bold elements, and even if some of them weren't all that great in the end, it was at least a great effort.
                              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Dr Zoidberg: Don't get me wrong...I don't begrudge anybody's right to enjoy Civ 4, and I do think you know a good game when you see one. At the same time, I don't feel the need to be quiet on such topics as warmed-over remakes, etc.

Perhaps the profits made off of Civ 4 will push Firaxis to do something far more original and engaging. Would be nice.
                                Actually, if they make a serious profit, that would be incentive to change very little. On the other hand, if they don't make enough profit, publishers won't read that as Firaxis botching the details, but as customers not wanting to support the genre any more, and then we'll get NO more decent games of this type.

The best hope, then, lies in the possibility that Firaxis will do more than merely selling warmed-over meatloaf. How likely is that possibility? Who the in deuce knows.

I'd give you a Day One review but I'm probably not going to do one. On the other hand, who knows what I will do, either. Can anybody's Day One review be trusted? Don't you need to wait a month or two for folks to have enough time to test the game's legs?

I had a good time with Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, but it's got some deeply-rooted problems with the "Peeps" AI that don't become apparent until you've played half a dozen games.

*Civ 4 will be a warmed over remake with sparkly graphics designed to fool the otherwise uncritical gamer into thinking that they actually have something new in front of them.

* Many at Poly will look at and overexaggerate any little "change" (wow, the next turn button is in the upper left now!) in an effort to justify their fanboy syndrome.

* And even though this has become such par for the course I'm numb to it now, there will be bugs that Firaxis will try to pawn off as feature and/or with sentiments to the effect of "Gamers actually enjoy bugs because it gives them something to talk about and their community would fall apart with nothing else to do were it not for the bugs." Yes, Firaxis QA has said this in the past.

* Once again we'll realize that when Sid doesn't take firm control of a project, you get mediocrity at best and total garbage at worst. I suspect Civ 4 will be mediocre in most every way.
                                It's not fair to get down on folks for being starry-eyed about a game. Fanboy syndrome? It's out there. That's why "branding" is so important. Each person is their own brand name, and information consumers needs to be discerning about which brands of info they consume. Some sources are more objective or reliable than others -- and the opposite of the Fanboy is the Troll. One is optimistic beyond reason or logic, the other is pessimistic in the same way, and they tend to start flaming one another.

It's all just speculation until the game comes out.

- Sirian

Comment

Working...
                                X