WorthPlaying's Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WorthPlaying's Review

Well, it's an okay review, if but slightly brief, and I'm really exicted for Civ4.

Not every critic is the same. Metacritic offers aggregated game reviews from the top critics, and our own METASCORE pinpoints at a glance how each game was reviewed.

"Leaders of other civilizations also have a bit of a different activity level in Civilization IV. Here’s one to watch out for – we call it "getting smitten" There’s a certain Egyptian leader who might get a bit frisky with you when she really likes you; give her something at the height of her friendly favor, and she might not let you leave without angering her!"

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

"Visual representation of the leaders has been improved, with their animated busts showing up in the game when you interact with them. Likenesses to the actual leader have been made where possible, as even Alexander’s pompous attitude and butt-chin made it into the game. So far, Firaxis has managed to keep voice-overs out of the game for these dialogues, and we hope they do. Not only is it impossible to give a famous person a voice that every gamer will agree is correct, but it will also become one of those features that everyone clicks through, so why waste the development dollars?"

Butt-chin Alexander the Great? Now I'm really worried! I hope he doesn't get as frisky as Hatshepsut does...
    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Stupid review.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

How so?
      I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Simply stupid .

Here’s one to watch out for – we call it "getting smitten" There’s a certain Egyptian leader who might get a bit frisky with you when she really likes you; give her something at the height of her friendly favor, and she might not let you leave without angering her!

Way to go for the style of a review everyone can trust .

Comment

It´s not directed at hard core gamers, that´s for sure...

Comment

Well, it's entirely misleading to think of this as a preview of any kind. This person didn't play a build right? So it's just flimsy commentary on already released information. But they obviously generate Day -90 traffic this way.
            I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Every game site with barely literate writers will try to cash in on the Civ4 buzz. And we will get a lot more of this when the game is released... Hey, but all publicity is good publicity. Right?

Comment

I really doubt that person has played a build or even has a lot of a clue about Civ. He basically only comments on the stuff from IGN and GameSpot previews.

So, what is Civilization IV going to bring to the table to make it the next great accomplishment of the series? Many things, but the greatest is Civ IV’s launch into 3D graphics.

Anyone who says that 3D graphics are the greatest thing about Civ4 deserves to be shot.

An interesting change in the development of Civ IV is the modification of how religion is used in the game. Gone are the days where you could merely discover religion, as Civilization evolves to let religion be the penetrating, viral social entity it exists as in human reality.

News flash for that guy: in previous Civ games there was no religion! He's obviously confusing it with the mono/polytheism techs.

The incorporation of religion is still very crude, and as a result all religions are weighted equally

It's a design decision, not a "still crude" thing.

Introducing concepts like medics and tile-based performance attributes modernizes the relational interface Civ IV uses while consolidating the attack/defense attribute scores. This makes Civilization IV more realistic in the existence of areas that are uniquely difficult or easy to defend, moving some of the tactical strategy from the units to the physical characteristics of the domain.

Sure medic promotions are new, but terrain bonuses have been there since Civ1. And in Civ3, you could drop defensive units on a mountain in enemy lands and watch him suicide his army.

Likenesses to the actual leader have been made where possible, as even Alexander’s pompous attitude and butt-chin made it into the game.

Hmm? We've only seen Alexander for half a second in the IGN video.

I have seen worse reviews, but this one's definitely up there.

Comment

WorthPlaying's Review
                  should be named "worthless"....
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                    WorthPlaying's Review
                    should be named "worthless"....
                    Why is Axel Rose your avatar?
                    - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                    - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                    - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Ummm, that's Markos in the 70's....
                      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by The Templar
                        Why is Axel Rose your avatar?
                        http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...76#post3910976

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                          Ummm, that's Markos in the 70's....
                          you forget that i'm way younger than you

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                            Anyone who says that 3D graphics are the greatest thing about Civ4 deserves to be shot.
                            Ditto.
                            Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                              you forget that i'm way younger than you
                              Yikes, you just reminded me to update my age in my profile. Thanks, pal...I was two years younger just one post ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X