No announcement yet.

So Basically We Have Civ 3...but in 3D?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn, you scare me. 150 hours on a single game. I can't imagine even the most epic game taking that much time .
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• Originally posted by yin26
      I don't mean to say that the Civ series is dead by itself. I just mean that Firaxis doesn't seem on fire about it. I mean when you have a genius in the next room just looking at periodic builds, you have to ask yourself: WHY!?
      Because they're looking for something fresh? So they let someone who shows talent have the reins, but are there to provide advice and experience?

btw, hi Yin.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
        Yes, I'd recommend you pass on the Civ3 expansions. There's better things to do while waiting for Civ4 .
        PtW is the perfect Civ3 (SP). The game worked the way intended by the devs.

C3C is rather unfortunate. My understanding is that Firaxis didn't want to do the coding themselves (didn't want to do it at all?). The publishers brought in a third party and set them loose on a pile of code that could rightly be described as a house of cards. The house crashed and there was noone left around who felt ownership enough to fix it.

Still, it's a lovely set of scenarios.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sirian

I got 150 hours on a single game.

Holy cow! I have spent WAY too many hours gaming in my lifetime.

- Sirian
          Same here, Sirian.
          I have saves with 200, 250 hours. It's insane!
          RIAA sucks
          The Optimistas
          I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

• Originally posted by Aro

Same here, Sirian.
            I have saves with 200, 250 hours. It's insane!
            I forgot the attachment:
            Attached Files
            RIAA sucks
            The Optimistas
            I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

• I wonder how many turns where spent waiting for the turn to process.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Originally posted by General Ludd
                I wonder how many turns where spent waiting for the turn to process.
                The game I showed was a Huge map, played all the way to 2050. I turned off all anims for the last 150 turns, and STILL there was one small animation that the game would play for every unit each time one entered combat.

A goodly bit of the hours on the game I listed were indeed burnt on waiting for turns to process, or for AI units to move, or for pathfinding checks on added or removed roads, harbors, etc.

On the other hand, without REAL pathfinding, the AI would do immensely dumb things at times. (Like it did in Civ2!) So better to live with a slower but playable game than a lobotomized AI. Listen to some music while playing and the waits are filled with something else fun.

- Sirian

Comment

• Originally posted by Maniac
                  I'd probably have an easy way out. Games aren't sold in cardboard boxes here. So there would be nothing to eat for me.
                  Plastic isn´t better than a cardboard box to eat
                  The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

• Yin: (Hi btw)

By the way, I reserve the right, should the game be good, to put various sauces of my choices on the cardboard.
                    I got about a hundred PC boxes out the back here at work you can eat. I can't fit them all in the bin.

Dale

Comment

• I remember when games came in edible boxes.

BTW Yin, you should try The Ages of Man, unofficial expansion for CtP2, if you would like to see effective innovation in a civ type game.
                      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                      CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                      One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

• I think everyone has eaten part of a game, when we were two.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

• Well, at least chewed on it a little bit.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

• And deemed it rather untasty?
                            He who knows others is wise.
                            He who knows himself is enlightened.
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Well, I certainly appreciate (?) all you caring people who want to ensure that I get the proper nutrition. I never knew I had so many friends (?).
                              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

• Originally posted by yin26
                                Well, I certainly appreciate (?) all you caring people who want to ensure that I get the proper nutrition. I never knew I had so many friends (?).
                                To be fair, you threw the first stone (betting on eating the game box).

Most of people love any challenge and a good bet.

If you are in need of a better friend, I'll do my best to send to you Maloox or any digestive helping medicine of your choice. There must be a wide offer of them on the next wave of SPAM mail I receive daily, next to some "helping with ladies" different kind of pills...
                                "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                                - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Working...
                                X