Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xorbon

And...?

I used to like to mix-and-match, especially if I was playing the Mongols. The ecclectic style seemed to suit them.

I wouldn't mind if they did a mix-and-match version of the throne room.
    and say some one from a look alike from queer eye for the straight guy telling ya not to mix and match something

you know somethings dont go on top of one another
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I loved the palace in all its versions. Should not just be retained, but expanded - more choice of elements (a nice Renaissance fountain with Tritons on the front lawn, please) so we can live out or delusions of grandeur in stone. But also affected by civil unrest and discontent - anything from the populace painting slogans over your front wall to burning down the west wing. And yes to a revival of the armies marching through conquered cities - how about the destruction of a rival civilisation being accompanied by occupation of the enemy palace, toppling of the statue of the leader outside, and looting the place for an art treasure to add to your own residence? Of course it's silly frippery and eye candy, but as others have said, the whole game is a diversion, and it's the colour that gives it character.
      War can so easily be gilt with romance and heroism and solemn national duty and patriotism and the like by persons whose superficial literary and oratorical talent covers an abyss of Godforsaken folly - G B Shaw

Comment

I'm glad the feature is not ruled out, although I've not seen any screenshots confirming its inclusion. I always enjoyed building the palace.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

There is a screenshot of a throne room for viewing.
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
            I'm glad the feature is not ruled out, although I've not seen any screenshots confirming its inclusion. I always enjoyed building the palace.
            As GeoModder remember to you... here is the throne.
            "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

The palace was almost pointless except for one thing that I did like, even if it wouldn't affect other players: It was somehow a part of my civilization's identity.

Chosing what it looks like when your civilization builds and represents itself is alot. It's as any art, a mode of expression and what it looks from outside; it's also the player's expression and choices.

Roleplay in a strat game perhaps... but anyway it was a form of immersion and it was fun. What do people think when I say "Native American"? Feathers, tents, perhaps totems... It's part of a civilization.

As for the throne room............ why was there a throne room for?

PS: Yes... and hopefully it would be possible to have more than chosing the type, with individual choice (since changing anything from the standard starting style could end up ugly/uncoherent). Hey, civilizations often borrowed from each other and mixed coherently.
              Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith

Thank you both. I'm praying that it is customisable in a way that the Civ 2 throne room was not. The one depicted would just seem too weird if I was playing a European civ.
                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                H.Poincaré

Comment

Hmm, I hope it doesn't rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                    Hmm, I hope it doesn't rain.
                    The roof is the most desired improvement, I agree...
                    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I have to agree with Trifna. I hope they allow for customization of the throne room, even if the mixing-and-matching looks ugly or tacky. That way, the throne room can feel like your own.

It's dull when you're forced to stick with one style.

Otherwise you might as well have a text message saying, "You're at 'such-and-such' a level".
                      "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

The roof is the most desired improvement, I agree...
                        Yeah whoever was playing was not a good enough leader, or the artisans would surely have built him/her a roof.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Edited, came in the wrong thread.
                          He who knows others is wise.
                          He who knows himself is enlightened.
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                          X