• Show
Clear All

Only copied.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I hope it stays in. Its like a side quest in a RPG. Not needed, but fun.

It could be more useful if they want, like:
      Like when you've the better developed castle or throne room the more impression you make when meeting foreign leaders. Nice and functional!

Still might be tricky to implement in multiplayer. Maybe the one with the best throne room/castle gets a extra chit on the negotiating table. IE something worth just as much as a X amount of gold in normal negotiating or so. Would give the builders something over warmongers in diplomatic dealings, since their population will probably be happier this make expansion possible more often.

Who knows, maybe we'll get a castle and a throne room this time around .

Comment

Originally posted by CustodianV131

RIAA sucks
        The Optimistas
        I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

They could make the throne room/palace "useable" in MP if the background graphics used when talking to another player is the palace the player has built. That way other players can see how each player has made it

Could be used for SP too, they just need to put in some random "palace generator" for the AI
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Don't care about it, hope it's waaaaaay down low on the TODO list.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
              I hope it's in.
              I don't. It's just a useless distraction. If it actually meant something in the game I can see keeping it, but it's just eyecandy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President
                But the city view was pretty neat. Though, it would have been neater had each city not had the same basic layout.
                The city view will most definitely be gone. All your buildings and improvements will appear on the map itself so there's no need for it anymore.

Comment

Are you sure about that? Is that confirmed?
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

That could get a little crowded.
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                    2004 Presidential Candidate
                    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

City view? The 'only' city view left is zooming in on them, and the city screen. AFAIK of course.
                      He who knows others is wise.
                      He who knows himself is enlightened.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

The palace and throne room concept is about as "worthless" as the wonder movies concept. It is the kind of thing that gives a game like Civ added character for a minimal amount of space and time. Really, was anyone that annoyed to tack another story onto their palace? It took two seconds and minimal thought.

<---- here's to keeping it in.
                        Visit The Frontier for all your geopolitical, historical, sci-fi, and fantasy forum gaming needs.

Comment

Unless it isn't triggered somehow during gameplay (like in civ1 when you occupied a city) I hope they leave the city view out... it was a useless dead-end screen in civ3.

Same with the throne room or Palace.. this should be some kind of reward and not a more or less random event (which it at least looked like). I didn't felt the palace annoying though in Civ3. It kind of grew with your empire.

Comment

I got annoyed by it in Civ3 because after many games you have seen what the different palaces could look like and didn't really care about it anymore, but it still kept asking if I wanted to add more to the palace
                            Also what kinda "annoyed" me about it was the randomness of it, it didn't always feel like you deserved to get it upgraded

But I would really like to see the palace to be "usefull" by using my above idea (when talking to other leaders, their background image is their palace), that would make it much more interesting
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by CustodianV131
                              I hope it stays in. Its like a side quest in a RPG. Not needed, but fun.

It could be more useful if they want, like:
                              Like when you've the better developed castle or throne room the more impression you make when meeting foreign leaders. Nice and functional!

Still might be tricky to implement in multiplayer. Maybe the one with the best throne room/castle gets a extra chit on the negotiating table. IE something worth just as much as a X amount of gold in normal negotiating or so. Would give the builders something over warmongers in diplomatic dealings, since their population will probably be happier this make expansion possible more often.

Originally posted by Adagio
                              They could make the throne room/palace "useable" in MP if the background graphics used when talking to another player is the palace the player has built. That way other players can see how each player has made it

Could be used for SP too, they just need to put in some random "palace generator" for the AI
                              Yes!

Comment

Originally posted by Cookie Monster
                                Civ 2's throne room was the best IMO as was their advisors.
                                While I agree with your comments on the Civ 2 advisors, there's no way the throne room was as good as the palaces in Civ 1 or 3. In Civ 2, the throne room always ended up looking the same, while, in Civs 1 and 3, you could make the palaces look different every time.

Having said that, I hope the feature is in the game, "useless" or not.
                                "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Working...
                                X