The borders of your empire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The borders of your empire

As you can see through the new IGN screenshots, the borders of your empire don't follow the strict outline of the square. It's a nifty addition as you can see with rivers forming a great natural border and to see that, graphically, the game follows these natural borders is quite impressive and welcomed.
    «Vive le Québec libre» - Charles de Gaulle

Makes sense but that sounds a little difficult to implement in the code.
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

and is the terrain important when your borders spread? like, slower expansion once you reach a river or desert, even if you have enough culture. do the borders expand quicker over grassland and plains?
      I assure you Mr. Ambassador, we're not building a Doom's Day Machine
      Our source was the New York Times

Comment

No, I don't think it slows the rate your borders expand. It's just a nice little visual add-on.

And to the guy who said : It would be difficult to implement - just don't make these assumptions - just look at the screens, you'll see what I'm talking 'bout.

Comment

Originally posted by Cvetin
          and is the terrain important when your borders spread? like, slower expansion once you reach a river or desert, even if you have enough culture. do the borders expand quicker over grassland and plains?
          I have seen other screenies that make me believe that civ boarders was given deeper thought and made some effective changes

JUST SHIP IT
          anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Woah ! We are all anxious to get or hands on Civ 4 - but shipping it earlier than the planned released date would be a mistake. I don't want a half tested full of bugs and unbalanced game.

Comment

Yeah, it' better to wait they test and make sure there is no full of alive of bug!, so wait for 2,000 year before world of end. Ok?!

Comment

The advatage of CIV is that even if the game is left unbalanced, there are plenty of people here in AU who can rebalance it, due to the addition of Python and the SDK...

...although I have a feeling that they will rebalance the game anyway...
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

The borders lookpretty good. Actually, the whole game looks pretty good so far.

Originally posted by Krill
                  The advatage of CIV is that even if the game is left unbalanced, there are plenty of people here in AU who can rebalance it, due to the addition of Python and the SDK...
                  My personal hopes say, there will be little or nothing to rebalance. AU will hopefully be more about adding interesting features to the AI engine (which says nothing to me either, but I will have a clearer picture after playing the game ).

Somehow, that does not surprise. But who could resist? I mean, who does not have a personal mod of Civ3 by now?
                  Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

That makes me nervous. Rebalancing can unfortunately introduce someone else's biases into the game.
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                    2004 Presidential Candidate
                    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I presume borders are non-negotiable. Would be a useful addition for MP, but probably too difficult to get a sensible AI in SP?
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Niptium
                        Woah ! We are all anxious to get or hands on Civ 4 - but shipping it earlier than the planned released date would be a mistake. I don't want a half tested full of bugs and unbalanced game.
                        How about a completely tested full of bugs and unbalanced game?
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Always the optimist hey...
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                            I presume borders are non-negotiable. Would be a useful addition for MP, but probably too difficult to get a sensible AI in SP?

What a GREAT idea!
                            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                              Makes sense but that sounds a little difficult to implement in the code.
                              If those rivers are vectors, (remember, is 3d now) it is not hard to implement and they have done it.
                              Owww, I'm so cute! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                              X