Apolyton Weekly Survey I: Grade The Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton Weekly Survey I: Grade The Game

A new feature has been added to Apolyton's Civ4 coverage: from now on we will have a poll every week to find out what our community thinks of various issues related to Civilization IV.

This week the question is simple: based on what you know about the game right now, how do you expect Civilization IV will turn out to be, on a scale of 1 to 10? Vote now and discuss your overall impression of the game so far...
    10 - Magnificient
    9.21%
    9 - Fantastic
    22.37%
    8 - Great
    27.63%
    7 - Good
    13.82%
    6 - Fair
    11.18%
    5 - Mediocre
    5.92%
    4 - Bad
    3.29%
    3 - Terrible
    0.00%
    2 - Pathetic
    0.00%
    1 - Worthless
    1.32%
    No opinion yet
    3.29%
    Banana
    1.97%
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

10, because no matter how bad it turns it (which it won't), we can perfect it ourselves.

Comment

It's nearly impossible to say by now. But if I should try, I'd say 8, because I think Civ1 and Civ2 was fantastic, Civ3 good, bordering to fair in the beginning. And since I have chosen to be positive as long as I have no reason otherwise, and what we know so far sounds promising, great is it. But I was unsure whether or not the second last option was a more right thing to choose.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

8 is great. Assumes I will have a computer worthy of the game. Once it is out, I will have months enjoying how to play it well and solving such mysteries is fun. Then will come bug fixes, and finding out how that changes gameplay and strategies is fun too. Then there will be Firaxis expansions which will ... (well, rinse and repeat, you get the idea).

Might be a great game, even after the learning processes are over.

Comment

I'm trying to not get overly enthusiastic about the game right now, so I voted "good". We have lots of info about the game, but the most important info we don't have yet, and it is fairly subjective: how it feels.
          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

From what has been seen on this site and the E3 data, the game has the potentialities of a true classic.

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
            http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

good, because

hardware issues - my machine runs c3c just fine, but all the eye-candy will probably put me out of the game

interface issues - lots of cute graphics that don't reflect what i really like about civ. previous issues looked much like board-based strat games. this one's starting to look too much like age of empires, which i hated. i must be getting old

but then,..

theocratic police state!!!
              I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

I'm going a 7 at this point.

From what I've read here and there, it appears a few things are missing (or not reported) that I feel should be in a civ game. However if modding proves as powerful as Firaxis says, then the possibility of moving up a notch or two exists.

Comment

I'm going with an 8.
                  I'm really looking forward to the game and very very enthousiastic about it. Though I think it's really too early to give it more then an 8.
                  About much concepts we still need to know much more about the implementation.

But I think an 8 is a fairly good first idea.
                  Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                  Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

9 - Fantastic.
                    It seems it is going to be great, and everything that will bother us or be possibly missing from the final version will be possible to correct and improve.
                    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

7 for the time being. Good game. It has definitely the potential for greatness, but some caution is in order.

There is always a gap between what's announced and what's delivered. Let's hope it won't be too large.

And let's hope the price we have to pay for some nice sounding features won't be too high. By this I don't mean money for purchase, but the tradeoff by having other features gimped in order for some to shine. Example: Civ3. Great AI, at least compared to other Civ games and clones. Bought at the expense of streamlining and dumbing down the whole game, and outright cheating (knowledge of map and unit locations).

Comment

I voted 8. The moddability of the game, if delivered as promised, is absolutely incredible. Great potential for the community to fix all the things that bother it.
                        XBox Live: VovanSim
                        xbox.com (login required)
                        Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                        Spore page

Comment

The almost flawless bell curve at this point (3/5/10/5/2) between 10 and 6 is amazing.

And what pathetic being voted 1 (worthless)?

Comment

Compared to the period before cIIIv was released the anticipation for cIV apparantly is HUGE!

I remember having the apolyton pessimistic and apolyton realistic club before the cIIIv release.

I wonder if anyone is pessimistic at all right now!

I suggest to not count that '1' vote in the poll.
                            It's clear that someone just did that to be funny.

Oh, aren't we all laughing out loud
                            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

9 - Fantastic
                              Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                              I am of the Horde.

Comment

Working...
                              X