No announcement yet.

System Requirements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh, I don't think all Geforces have T&L capability. I had a Geforce 2 MX 400 and could not change some graphic options in Pirates (they were not available to me). I could only change them when I bought a Geforce FX 5200.
    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex
      Uh, I don't think all Geforces have T&L capability. I had a Geforce 2 MX 400 and could not change some graphic options in Pirates (they were not available to me). I could only change them when I bought a Geforce FX 5200.
      They do. T&L has been a very basic thing in graphics cards for a while now. The FX series has some new, more advanced features, which the Pirates' engine can use. Some games already require those options to run at all (Prince of Persia III, anyone?), but it seems CIV will not.
      Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

• I bought a computer last christmas. Overall, it pretty decent, except for the integrated graphics (no, don't ask). S3 unichrome. The damn thing doesn't even support T&L.
        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

• The damn thing probably also steals your RAM. Go out and buy at least a GeForce FX 5200 - the card will run anything that's not a shooter very well, and it's cheap.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• The damn thing probably also steals your RAM. Go out and buy at least a GeForce FX 5200 - the card will run anything that's not a shooter very well, and it's cheap.
            Yep, it steals ram. I bought a Radeon 9550 with 256 MB DDR, but it makes my system crash all the time. So I had to remove it. Out of the frying pan into the fire... I contacted ATI and tried almost everything they suggested. Nothing works. I'll try again when I'll have some time...
            Last edited by Nostromo; June 28, 2005, 16:21.
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
              Go out and buy at least a GeForce FX 5200 - the card will run anything that's not a shooter very well, and it's cheap.
              Mine even runs Doom3 quite well.

Comment

• Actually, a FX 5200 can run Doom3 indeed . Especially if it's on AGP 8x and has 256MB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
                  Actually, a FX 5200 can run Doom3 indeed . Especially if it's on AGP 8x and has 256MB.
                  Has 128MB, but I allow it to "steal" a bit of the other 512MB in the system.

I do not know how fast the AGP is. I do not even know what exactly the graphics chip can do (I used to when working a S3 Virge DX with 2MB.) The beauty of systems less than two years old is, they just work, no fuss. And they should usually run CIV without problems, I think.

Comment

• Mine is a FX 5600, but on AGP 4x, 256 MB. Is it enough?
                    RIAA sucks
                    The Optimistas
                    I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

• It's definitely enough for Civ4, I was merely commenting on what's better for Doom3 . Civ4 isn't in Doom3's league, obviously. You'll find that the standard video cards are 64 and 128 MB anyway, relatively few people have 256 MB cards. I have one only because I could get this one for a very low price, as I don't really have the need for such video memory.

Comment

• Originally posted by mhkhosravi
                        Is 64 MB GeForce4 Graphic Card enough for this game ? for 1024x768
                        with CPU AthlonXP 1600+ , 256 MB RAM, I think it will work, hm?
                        I think 800x600 is not too bad for strategic games,
                        Not sure about the video card, but you should probably get at least another 256 of RAM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Modo44

Until you try to fit 5 rather big windows that can not overlap and should all be visible at all times (and have a readable font ). I could really use 21', even 16:9, seriously.
                          You could always try a dual monitor system.

Comment

• Originally posted by nostromo
                            I bought a computer last christmas. Overall, it pretty decent, except for the integrated graphics (no, don't ask). S3 unichrome. The damn thing doesn't even support T&L.
                            That's the card I had in the motherboard I just got a short while back. I thought it was pretty good until I tried to run Pirates!. Now I have a Radeon 9550/w 128 meg and the game runs fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Willem
                              You could always try a dual monitor system.
                              Yes, I could. But since I now own a CRT monitor, I will rather buy a single, really big LCD (or plasma...) one when the time comes.

But that is beside the point of CIV.
                              17' is enough if you only use it for games.

Comment

• Nah, screen size is like RAM. You can never have too much
                                I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Working...
                                X