New Barry Caudill Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Barry Caudill Interview

A very interesting interview with Barry Caudill was posted on the Spanish website HardGame.

Revista online de videojuegos con noticias, an�lisis, im�genes y notas de prensa de los juegos m�s interesantes, adem�s de un foro de consulta y debate.

Some highlights:

- A key design principle for Civ4 is accessibility: "We are trying to make this the most accessible version of Civ ever. We are doing this by including tons of tool tips and popup help. We are also working on a really top notch tutorial for new players. In addition, we are trying to eliminate micro-management for its own sake in the form of chasing pollution or managing corruption in individual cities. Accessibility will even extend to the mod community as they will have a level of control that was previously impossible in other Civ titles."

- Civ4 will probably ship with a few scenarios to show off the modding capabilities of the game.

- The maps in Civ4 will be somewhat smaller than in Civ3

Some minor new stuff too, that I'll update the Information section with momentarily.
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Thanks
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

cool

I wonder what the max size for a modded world is...

Comment

I would be disappointed by anything under 1000x1000.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I don't really care about smaller maps. The cIIIv ones always were huuuuge anyway. A little less huge will still be huge!
          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
            A little less huge will still be huge!
            You obviously do not understand the principle. Nothing is huge enough.
            Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
              2004 Presidential Candidate
              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44

I'm nog a man of principles
                principles are for those without ideals
                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Small maps can be fun too. I played a lot of great games on the smallest map with as many Civs as possible
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

It seems like the new AI will cheat, but not ass much as the Civ3 one:

Civilization III had a very advanced AI but many people felt that it “cheated” a bit too much. For many reasons, the AI has to have some bonuses to keep it competitive, especially at higher levels, but Soren Johnson (lead designer/programmer on Civ IV) has taken the criticism to heart and will be spending most of our remaining development time making sure this game has the best Civ AI ever.

Oh, and he mentioned Apolyton.

And, it will be possible to make events!

People having a higher comfort level with programming will be able to add scripted events and such to their mod or scenario.

This made me wonder:

I believe there are several “smaller” versions of Civ in the works already. I know of one for the N-Gage and some regular cell-phone versions as well. I think the power of the PSP and the touch control of the DS could easily make them places where Civ could thrive.
                    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                      Small maps can be fun too. I played a lot of great games on the smallest map with as many Civs as possible
                      Small(er) map(s) are the best, it is the real test of time.
                      He who knows others is wise.
                      He who knows himself is enlightened.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Eventis

Better AI

Firaxis made scenarios Scenarios

Smaller maps (Hopefuly this will be modable too, or else... )
                        The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

Com'on, where's your sense of adventure? Never heard of the one city challenge?
                          But according to the interview, the max mapsize will be smaller due to 3D limitations on system resources and/or the engine itself.
                          He who knows others is wise.
                          He who knows himself is enlightened.
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Bah, 3d
                            The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                              But according to the interview, the max mapsize will be smaller due to 3D limitations on system resources and/or the engine itself.
                              Indeed it says so. But I guess we'll be able to correct that if we want with the new modding possibilites.
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                              X