No announcement yet.

Two Leaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On another note, what if INDIA has two leaders? It would only make sense.

Mohandas Gandhi - Pacifist, Friendly
    Akbar or Ashoka - Imperialist Conquerors!
    Indira Gandhi - Hard to describe, really
    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander01
      Indira Gandhi - Hard to describe, really
      Changed name to Gandhi so the "ignorant" masses will vote for her assuming she was related to Mohandas. (She was actually related to Nehru though)
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

How about Bill Gates?

That is what I call the End of the World.
        http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

Why is France a Civ.?

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278

Changed name to Gandhi so the "ignorant" masses will vote for her assuming she was related to Mohandas. (She was actually related to Nehru though)
          Well, actually she married a man named Feroze Gandhi. See, over there, the name Gandhi's about as common as Smith. Her dad was Jawaharlal Nehru.
          "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
          "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
          The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Oh. Thanks.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
              Oh. Thanks.
              No problem.

So anybody have other ideas for civ leaders?

Comment

I agree -- China was ruled by dictators for a lot longer than its been ruled by silly communists.
                In the ancient era, all leaders were tyrants by our PC standards...

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Would be true of nearly all of them before the 1770's.

Comment

Re: Two Leaders

So why are there some civs that have two leaders? Why then do only SOME of them have two?

Persians: Cyrus (Why not Darius or Xerxes?)

Because Cyrus I is considered to be the begetter of the first Iranian empire and the Achaemenid dynasty.

However there is also Cyrus II, the Great- of whom it was written:

" "I am Cyrus, king of the world, great king, mighty king, king of Babylon, king of the land of Sumer and Akkad, king of the four quarters, son of Cambyses, ...king of Anshan, grandson of Cyrus, ...descendant of Teispes, ...progeny of an unending royal line, whose rule Bel and Nabu cherish, whose kingship they desire for their hearts' pleasures.

When I, well-disposed, entered Babylon, I established the seat of government in the royal palace amidst jubilation and rejoicing. Marduk, the great God, caused the great-hearted inhabitants of Babylon to come to me. I sought daily to worship him. My many troops moved about undisturbed in the midst of Babylon. I did not allow any to terrorize the land of Sumer and Akkad. I kept in view the needs of Babylon and all its sanctuaries to promote their well being. The citizens of Babylon ...their dilapidated dwellings I restored. I put an end to their misfortunes...

...the cities of Ashur and Susa, Agade, Eshnuna, the cities of Zamban, Meurnu, Der, as far as the region of the land of Gutium, the holy cities beyond the Tigris whose sanctuaries had been in ruins over a long period, the gods whose abode is in the midst of them, I returned to the places and housed them in lasting abodes. I gathered together all their inhabitants and restored to them their dwellings..."

"O, man, whoever thou art and whensoever thou comest, for I know that thou wilt come, I am Cyrus, and I won for the Persians their empire. Do not, therefore, begrudge me this little earth which covers my body. " "

Quite impressive, really.

Darius I and Xerxes, although also impressive and successful in many respects, did have those embarassing defeats inflicted on them by the Greeks, at Marathon and Salamis.
                    Attached Files
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Mongols: Genghis Khan, Kublai Khan, Batu Khan, Ogedei Khan, Anybody Khan
                      Chaka Khan?

Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by KyuuA4

How about the Mongols - whose time of greatness was only about a century or so?

Well a unified Mongol Empire under one leader might have been realtively short-lived, but the effects of Mongol or Turkic-Mongol civilization are much longer lasting.

Today, the Iranians say that their country's ancient irrigation systems never recovered from the destruction of the Khwarizm khanate and the rump Abbasid domains in the Middle East.

The Mongol destruction of Baghdad wrecked an ages-old centre of learning, science and culture, irreparably.

The Mongols shattered the growing Russian city states, destroyed the flower of East European chivalry in battle and were on the point of threatening Central and Western Europe- imagine a Europe with no Renaissance, north or south.

The Mongol dynasty of Kublai Khan in China was world famous, although even it had its limitations, seeing defeat in Srivijaya, the jungles of South East Asia and Japan. Presumably the moral being don't venture beyond the natural capability of steppe horsemen fighting units.

The Timurid and Moghul Mongol successor states are also reasonably well-known, as is the Golden Horde in Russian history. In fact, the Mongols hindered Russian advancement greatly.
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Re: Re: Two Leaders

Originally posted by molly bloom

Because Cyrus I is considered to be the begetter of the first Iranian empire and the Achaemenid dynasty.

However there is also Cyrus II, the Great- of whom it was written:

Darius I and Xerxes, although also impressive and successful in many respects, did have those embarassing defeats inflicted on them by the Greeks, at Marathon and Salamis.
                          The Civ leader for Persia would definitely be Cyrus II (III by some accounts). Cyrus I never led an independent nation.

Though Cyrus' Empire would not have survived if not for Darius the Great.

IMO, Cyrus and Darius are both preferable to Xerxes.

Comment

In the ancient era, all leaders were tyrants by our PC standards...
                            Indeed. And political correctness can kiss my ass.

It'd be cool to simulate various Hitler vs. Stalin wars.

Why is France a Civ.?

Comment

Originally posted by KyuuA4

Indeed. And political correctness can kiss my ass.

It'd be cool to simulate various Hitler vs. Stalin wars.
                              Heck, I'd like a full WWII scenario with appropriate leaderheads provided -- Hitler, Stalin, Churchill, Roosevelt, Tojo, DeGaulle, Chiang, etc.

Comment

Heck, I'd like a full WWII scenario with appropriate leaderheads provided -- Hitler, Stalin, Churchill, Roosevelt, Tojo, DeGaulle, Chiang, etc.
                                As opposed to past scenarios involving Catherine the Great vs Otto von Bismark... WTF was that?!

Why is France a Civ.?

Comment

Working...
                                X