Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customizable Armies!

Quote from 2K Games' Website:

Civ IV comes to life! - Beautiful 3D world with dozens of fully animated units (including culturally unique units), and totally customizable armies. Cities and wonders will appear on the map. Wonder movies are back!

What does that mean? Is it like in Alpha Centauri, where every unit was customizable and you could create your own?

Oh, that would be incredibly cool!
    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

My guess is that it's a reference to the now well known feature of awarding traits to units upon their promotion.

If a unit wins in combat you are able to select a promotion that might either make it heal faster, or fight in forests better, or use enemy roads.

I think that the "totally customizable armies" quote is just standard hyperbole.

Comment

I believe that the promotion system is much better than the design system in SMAC. It is much more useful, in SMAC you just added a big gun with a fat armor and you were ready for smacking factions.
      Owww, I'm so cute! ^_^

Comment

Hopefully the best aspects of each system will find their way into Civ4 incorporation.
        "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
        "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
        The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Originally posted by GAZ082
          I believe that the promotion system is much better than the design system in SMAC. It is much more useful, in SMAC you just added a big gun with a fat armor and you were ready for smacking factions.
          To be fair, it wasn't quite that simple.

A big gun with fat armor would cost a LOT to build, so you could have a handful of awesome troops or lots of regular ones, and that brings balance.

There were also so many special abilities to add on that you created the same paper/scissors/rock dynamic they are talking about in Civ IV. Defenses against fast units, air defenses, anti aircraft attackers, etc.

It would be an entirely inappropriate system for a Civ universe, but it was more comlex than you suggest.

Comment

it does sound of a marketing person adding to the hype
            Gurka 17, People of the Valley
            I am of the Horde.

Comment

agreed. Customizable could mean that you have the ability to name your army
              Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

One could say that armies are customisable in CivIII.

After all you can add almost any unit type to an army. Meaning I could have an army with 2 spearmen and 1 archer and that would make it a custom army.

In other words, marketing..........................
                signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

So very sad...

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
                    agreed. Customizable could mean that you have the ability to name your army
                    Yes! Fear my Pancake Division!
                    http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

Why is France a Civ.?

Comment

My Syrup Brigade fears no one!
                      Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

What ever happened to Superkiller Bloodthirsty Death's Head Legion Corps Death Murder Killers?

Comment

Working...
                        X