Down with Sid!

More Elvis instead!
    Blasphemy!!!

Comment

Bring back the civ 2 cultural advisor!
      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

How about that hot foreign advisor?
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

The background graphics look a lot like Warcraft III, I find. This is not a huge deal; graphics across the industry have been plateauing, and I at least applaud Firaxis for not succumbing to the lowest of the low, ie "modelling the hair on a man's arms" as the cutting edge of graphics.

My interest in this game is growing after the severe let down I felt with Civ III. I grow cautiously optimistic.
          Visit The Frontier for all your geopolitical, historical, sci-fi, and fantasy forum gaming needs.

Comment

Originally posted by DerSchwarzfalke
            My interest in this game is growing after the severe let down I felt with Civ III. I grow cautiously optimistic.
            Appearently, you never tried Master of Orion 3.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Heh, you are correct.
              Visit The Frontier for all your geopolitical, historical, sci-fi, and fantasy forum gaming needs.

Comment

Originally posted by DerSchwarzfalke
                Heh, you are correct.
                Don't.

Comment

Web page has links for some good games ( i loved pirates!). There is nothing on it for civ II though (or civ I). The tendency to forget what made this legacy great, and instead to focus so much on a frankly worse sequel (by which I mean civ III) is a general tendency that I fear may continue to show up. It's as if someone in charge wants to forget about civ II, and promote civ III. It will be too bad if civ IV ends up as more of III, and remains blind to II. (and superficial skim of the info out looks a lot like III...)

Anyway, Sid rocks, and civ is the best. No complaints about the best game ever, just genuine hopes for it to live to its potential...
                  Ants. An MGE scenario
                  http://apolyton.net/upload/view.php?file=57835_ant.zip

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                    3125 IF no civics options are mutually exclusive, which I doubt.
                    Though some might look a bit improbable... a pacifist police state? Maybe even a communist / fascist / theocratic one?

Comment

Yup, that's unlikely. But maybe it's possible. After all, if the real USSR was officialy religion free, maybe Civ 4 lets you have your religios communist state...
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                        I'm assuming the AI will start to 'think' while you are still on your turn to shorten the time it needs, or at least make it seem go faster.
                        As generally an AI would check all possible moves and choose what lands them in the best position. That position would be determinated by a set of values which are predefined.
                        By coming up with better values the AI would become "better", by telling the AI to use predefined tactics and skip to check possible moves of a certain class (you know is useless, but AI dont) you can save up some neat AI time.
                        This is not completly correct as im too tired to produce a better explanaion, it being 1am here, and my limitations of the english languague, i'd need a grammar book and a translator.
                        Proud member of the PNY Brigade
                        Also a proud member of the The Glory Of War team on PtW-DG

A.D 300, after 5h of playing DonHomer said: "looks like civ2 could be a good way to kill time if i can get the hang of it :P"

Comment

As generally an AI would check all possible moves and choose what lands them in the best position. That position would be determinated by a set of values which are predefined.

There's a crapload of possible moves. Assume early game with 5 units. Each unit can move in 8 adjacent squares or not move, that's 9 actions. That's 9^5=59 thousand possible moves already...
                          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Chess is a great example, it is played on a 8x8 tile board and there are 32 units, 9 uniqe types, and a coupple of special rules. It's not until the last years the AI have been able to defeat the world elite of players.
                            And yet the possibilities in chess are VERY limited to thoose in civ for example.
                            And theese super chess computers still take quite a lot time figuring out what to move. An AI for Civ would not be able to work this way as it would take a year or two to play each turn and we dont have that patience, really. (not to mention the system req. that would be needed)
                            Let me just clarify: Moves are not necessary moves where you allocate a unit but a list of possible actions the AI can undertake.
                            The AI will check diffrent options and will go on with the one that will put them in the most favourable position.
                            The definition of what is favourable position and what is not, and to which degree is what will to us players become the AIs skill.
                            Simple and not too accurate examples of the definition could be: "2 cities are better than one", "it's better to have spearmen defending your cities than archers" or better to capture that undefended city than to get killed while attacking the pikeman army fortified on that mountain" etc.
                            Ofcourse they are not defined like that but that's what you get in practic in the game.
                            Proud member of the PNY Brigade
                            Also a proud member of the The Glory Of War team on PtW-DG

A.D 300, after 5h of playing DonHomer said: "looks like civ2 could be a good way to kill time if i can get the hang of it :P"

Comment

Originally posted by Ennet
                              it would take a year or two to play each turn
                              Sounds like my PC on gigantic 32 player map.

Comment

Originally posted by Ennet
                                Chess is a great example, it is played on a 8x8 tile board and there are 32 units, 9 uniqe types, and a coupple of special rules. It's not until the last years the AI have been able to defeat the world elite of players.
                                And yet the possibilities in chess are VERY limited to thoose in civ for example.
                                And theese super chess computers still take quite a lot time figuring out what to move. An AI for Civ would not be able to work this way as it would take a year or two to play each turn and we dont have that patience, really. (not to mention the system req. that would be needed)
                                Let me just clarify: Moves are not necessary moves where you allocate a unit but a list of possible actions the AI can undertake.
                                The AI will check diffrent options and will go on with the one that will put them in the most favourable position.
                                The definition of what is favourable position and what is not, and to which degree is what will to us players become the AIs skill.
                                Simple and not too accurate examples of the definition could be: "2 cities are better than one", "it's better to have spearmen defending your cities than archers" or better to capture that undefended city than to get killed while attacking the pikeman army fortified on that mountain" etc.
                                Ofcourse they are not defined like that but that's what you get in practic in the game.
                                The Ultimate Civ4, now released for Cray computers!
                                I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Working...
                                X