Add a new small wonder and accompanying unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solver
    The screens are taken in Ancient age, as in during that level of tech - the cities are building archers then. Then again, they may have been taken with the scenario editor and not a real game.
    now THIS is a kind of remark that i expect to induce a 'soren sighting'

Comment

Only if he is too far off track.
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
        The screens are taken in Ancient age, as in during that level of tech - the cities are building archers then. Then again, they may have been taken with the scenario editor and not a real game.

CtP made navies much more relevant by having sea-based tile improvements. I hope Civ4 will really do the same.
        Well all the map can be seen too...I would suspect these screenshots are taken from a debug version of the game...
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Of course the screenshots are taken from the scenario editor or some debug tool -- that's true for most strategy games: a screenshot where like 80% of the map can't be seen properly (or at all) due to Fog or War just isn't that interesting...
          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Re: Re: Add a new small wonder and accompanying unit

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
            Since you identify the Nimitz class as being the identity of the Super Carrier, should it be nuke power, not combusion as a pre-req?
            I had thought the first super carrier was the Forrestal.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Thing is, 'super' carriers are relative to their timeframe, especially if like Navyman wanted they would carry more air units. If it is a large air carrier from WWII, or a modern day air carrier, the number of planes they carry doesn't vary that much. The shipsize has increased quit a bit tho.

And how about for instance the English mini-carriers? They're only cruiser sized, but are more 'unique' then the more common air carriers of today.
              He who knows others is wise.
              He who knows himself is enlightened.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

On the other side of the spectrum were those so called "Carriers" the Russians had in the 80's. I think the Kiev was one.
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Russia was always a land power, not a sea power like the UK or the USA.

But in CIV that can be changed!

I reckon a single 'advanced flight'-discovered carrier unit is what we will see...

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                  http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: Add a new small wonder and accompanying unit

Originally posted by Navyman
                    As my name suggests, I like playing with big navies. In that regard, I would like to hear any feedback regarding adding a new small wonder.

How about adding the Newport News Shipyards (NNS) as a small wonder? Benefits would be that the city that has it will will be able to build naval units twice as fast and be able to build a new unit called "Super Carrier."

The prereqs for building NNS would be to have a harbor, a pop of at least 8, be connected to steel and oil, and have Combustion.

The Super Carrier would only be able to be built at a city with NNS and it would carry 14 air units and be 1/3 more difficult to kill than a normal Carrier and have more MPs as well. Also, if there's a way to implement it, the Super Carrier should also make other civs more wary and afraid of you.

Why do I think NNS should be a small wonder? Because it is a wonder of engineering. It takes NNS 5 yrs to build a Nimitz class while the best yards in other countries takes twice as long to build a carrier half the Nimitz's size. Even then, other carriers manages to have their propeller break off during exercises

What do you guys think?
                    personally I like the idea
                    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

I'm ok with having a 'great shipyard' small wonder... but does it have to be called the 'Newport News Shipyards'? Small wonders should be generic... I don't like it how each civ has to build a 'Wall Street' as it is.

Comment

hehe so what do you suggest?
                        Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                        I am of the Horde.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                          I'm ok with having a 'great shipyard' small wonder... but does it have to be called the 'Newport News Shipyards'? Small wonders should be generic... I don't like it how each civ has to build a 'Wall Street' as it is.
                          Worse IMO is that everyone builds an Oxford

Comment

True.

Comment

I'll probably rename it to "Great University" or something...

Comment

Working...
                              X