No announcement yet.

Massive Single Player scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry Son of Moose, looks like there is bad news for your mod.

From Firaxis:

On the question of map size, Barry stated that "the move to 3D doesn’t come without a cost" and that the "largest maps in Civ 4 will be a bit smaller than their Civ 3 counterparts".

And looks like I was wrong.
    be free

Comment

Oh, btw, in light of this news, I am seriously reconsidering getting cIV. I'm sick of representation games; I too wanted a massive map. It gives the feeling that your civilization is in its own world and that there is another civilization so far away that it's almost impossible to travel there throughout the first half of the game.

In Humanitas, we are able to create 1000x1000 maps without a problem. You will need a more powerful computer (especially gfx card and memory) to make even bigger maps, but it shouldn't be that much of a problem. The thing is, its probable in Humanitas, but not probable or even possible in CivIV. (To know about Humanitas, go to the other games section on this forum).
      be free

Comment

Except it would take a really long time to run, especially with 3d stuff.
        Maybe they should step back and keep it 2-D - but make the world map 3-D (where y'can launch invasions across the polar regions to the other side).
        http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

Why is France a Civ.?

Comment

Originally posted by KyuuA4
          (where y'can launch invasions across the polar regions to the other side).
          Or at least fire missiles that way.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Snoopy:

Thank you for this (to me) extremely important information.

I must admit that maximum possible map size is a major consideration for me before I even think of buying a game. I suppose it is that I am becoming somewhat tired of playing eminently enjoyable games that tend to be rather limited in their scope.

As stated in my initial post, I really long for the ability to play a Massive Single Player (MSP) scenario where I can spend weeks (or maybe even months) building up my empire (buildings and units) as I slowly take on (and eventually take out) my powerful ai opponent.

Therefore (largely due to its supposedly top-notch 3D graphics .... which are always seemingly demanding of ones computor resources), I will not probably be buying Civ 4. (After all, Civ 3's maps were pretty small).

I will certainly follow up your link to Humanitas .... this sounds most interesting. My graphics card is dreadful (an Intel 32 MB chipset) and needs to be urgently replaced but I do have just over 1 GB of memory which I am extremely keen to use.

Comment

Vince278:

At least there is CTP2 and Immortal Wombat's rendering of Omni's massive World Map. (As well as the new "mega mod" to download from the Apolyton website).

[Snoopy .... maybe you should check out my "other" thread in the CTP2 forum ].

Comment

Working...
              X