Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nikolai
    Yes.
    Are you sure? The 'common' people mostly couldn't read...
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

You can print things other than text...

Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Hmm, there should be a penalty for establishing more than one religion. That penalty should appear in the form of discontent among the citizens of said country.
        http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

Why is France a Civ.?

Comment

I think we've all been assuming that's in the game.

Comment

Right. You know what they say about assuming.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder

Are you sure? The 'common' people mostly couldn't read...
              That's right, but for one the monopoly of Latin was breaked, resulting in Bibles in the common people's own language so that it was easier to understand. And now not only the clergy, but all who could read, could check for themselves what the Bible says.
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Didn't the printing press make Bibles much more widely available and therefore more accessible to the common people, which helped cause the Protestant revolution?

[QUOTE]

You're putting the cart before the horse.

'Protestant' revolts had taken place in England and France and Bohemia before the widespread use of the printing press and paper to disseminate 'heretical' views.

The heresy of Lollardy as expounded by Wycliffe/Wiclif in England survived into Tudor times in certain parishes and was communicated to mainland Europe by friendly clerics.

The Waldensian heresy began in Lyon and when it was persecuted, the believers sought refuge in Alpine valleys on the borders of northern Italy and Switzerland.

The Hussite heresy also started without the aid of printing presses in Bohemia.

All these heresies, in many ways precursors of Luther's revolt against the Church, didn't require the printing press, although as I've already mentioned, the Lollards and Wycliffe did believe in having the Bible in the English vernacular.

Even Martin Luther's revolt began without the aid of a translation of the Bible in the vernacular, and his famous theses were written in Latin- not a language greatly familiar to the majority of the people.

The revolt took place because of the perceived corruption and excesses of the Vatican and Catholic Church hierarchy in the Renaissance- clerics living luxurious lives, plurality of livings, parishes without priests, bishops and archbishops who never visited their sees, popes who held orgies in the Vatican, widespread clerico-papal nepotism, the Great Schism, clergy who fathered children, or nuns who gave birth to children, popes who were more interested in aggrandizing their families and estates than in spiritual welfare- all these are reasons why the revolts took place.

Luther didn't translate the Bible into German until after his break with the Church- and he certainly wasn't fond of the common people.
                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                  You can print things other than text...

http://communication.ucsd.edu/bjones/Books/luther.html
                  He who knows others is wise.
                  He who knows himself is enlightened.
                  -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                  X