July PC Gamer preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July PC Gamer preview

I don't normally read CFC and it appears to be down now, but someone was kind enough to send me this, which was apparently posted there, based on preview in the July issue of PC Gamer:

A couple things in the magazine that were new to me (sorry if you've already known these):

- beginning in June 2004, a hand-picked group of around 60 hardcore Civilization fans has been playing it and giving feedback to the developers in a private online forum.

- cities built on the water - rivers or coastlines - are now automatically connected to a trade route, negating the need to build a road.

- But the real prize, which will have all the hardcore modders drooling, is the software developers kit (SDK).

"It's all the code I write. It's all the AI and all the game code. It's the rules of the game," says Johnson. "This has been done a lot with shooters, but it's never really been explored with strategy games."

Using this package, modders will be able to do everything from writing their own game types to pretty much builiding their own game based loosely on Civilization, changing literally anything they want.
    All I can say is:

Oh, and "I told you so"
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

You were right. That's awesome. Big kudos to Firaxis! /\/\4D P|20P$ even.
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

Comment

erm... does anyone realize that the SDK probably means the end of the franchise? I doubt that Firaxis will work on a Civ5 or something like that.
      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Im not worthy! Im not worthy!

End of CIV 'series', nayyyyyyy!!!
        Owww, I'm so cute! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Alex
          erm... does anyone realize that the SDK probably means the end of the franchise? I doubt that Firaxis will work on a Civ5 or something like that.
          Why do you think that? As the quote says, this has been done for FPSs for a long long time. There are sources out for all Quakes, and yet id is alive and well.
          XBox Live: VovanSim
          xbox.com (login required)
          Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
          Spore page

Comment

Why? Did the release of the Doom source code hurt Doom3?

First of all, I don't really see fans completely rewriting the game -- that would take years (just look at the 'progress' CtP2 has made since the release of its source code).

Secondly, there have been fan-made Star Trek, Star Wars, Buffy, etc films, books, games and stuff like that for decades, yet that never kept the official sources from releasing new official materials as well. And didn't Soldiers of Fortune or one of those other FPS games (I don't play them so I don't know much about them) originally start out as a mod of some other game which has since then also gotten its own sequel?

Finally, as cool as the Civ4 graphics and network options look now, 4-5 years from now they will be painfully obsolete. The SDK will only contain the game rules, not the engine that makes these rules run.

If handled right (which still remains to be seen -- let's not get ahead of things), the SDK will be an extremely powerful tool for modding and scenario making, but probably not much more than that. And even if it is, that still won't stop Firaxis from releasing an 'official' sequel...
            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Excellent . And a Half-Life style SDK to go with it .
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

- beginning in June 2004, a hand-picked group of around 60 hardcore Civilization fans has been playing it and giving feedback to the developers in a private online forum.
                lucky bastards

Comment

Why was I not hand-picked
                  Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                  Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Re: July PC Gamer preview

Originally posted by Locutus
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                      Why was I not hand-picked
                      Perhaps you were, but can't tell us? It's secret you know...

Oh, and:
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Re: Re: July PC Gamer preview

Originally posted by Adagio

word.

Comment

Wow, that is one long beta test.

Originally posted by Alex
                          As Locutus said, a similar approach did not kill Doom. It actually helped, by allowing extensive modding by fans, thus prolonging the game's life. And hey, the more they sell, the bigger the budget for the next version.
                          Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

The Beta test is news? Anyone want to geuss as to who was picked? I know a couple...
                            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                              The Beta test is news? Anyone want to geuss as to who was picked? I know a couple...
                              Considering that I joined poly after it started, yes, it is.
                              Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Working...
                              X