No announcement yet.

What do you feel about cIV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myrddin: If civ doesn't evolve, it will become an antiquity. It's already well on it's way. The only thing that can save the franchise from slowly fading away and die, is drastic change, while at the same time keep the good elements and imporve others. Just as it seems Firaxis will do with cIV.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Agreed Nickolai

I think that the changes may appear more drastic than many people on this site are expecting
      "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

Originally posted by Myrddin
        Removing fixed governements offers a lot of opportunities BUT means that all the things that are keyed to governements now, like tile bonuses/penalties, rush-builds, military police, unit support, war weariness will have to be addressed in other ways
        Ever played SMAC? If not, then try it. The way governments are implemented in that game is

As already mentioned it's kinda boring the way governments are done in Civ games where you in most games has planned exactly what government you want at what point in the game, while in SMAC you make small choices when needed
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I'm for change; BUT suspect that a lot of others will be saying 'its not civ anymore' when more information is released
          "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

I don't care what it's like as long as it comes with a Hammurabi action figure.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
              Actually, I don't think even problem three exists in Civilization III. It's not that big of a deal for me to check which civilization demands which goods, because I don't have to check city-by-city -- the information pertains more broadly to each civilization, simplifying keeping track of demand.
              Problem 3 isn't a problem in Civ 3 because there are no caravans.

I was just bringing up that one annoying aspect of Civ 2. The 'city-to-city' trade system of Civ 2 was as annoying, IMO, as 'whack-a-mole' pollution.

Hopefully, caravans will work way differently than in Civ 2.
              "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Xorbon, I would not be worried too much about that, considering the amount of rant which came on the subject
                Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Originally posted by Xorbon

Problem 3 isn't a problem in Civ 3 because there are no caravans.

I was just bringing up that one annoying aspect of Civ 2. The 'city-to-city' trade system of Civ 2 was as annoying, IMO, as 'whack-a-mole' pollution.

Hopefully, caravans will work way differently than in Civ 2.

I wasn't making that statement as if there were caravans in Civ 3.

I mean, they could have made it tedious by requiring us to check every city for demand of particular goods even without caravans -- but they didn't.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Did Civ II have a trade system? Honestly, I never used caravans, aside from rushing wonders. I wouldn't mind if they bring them in with combination with the civ-wide trade network of Civ III though. Maybe you'll need caravans to link up with other civ's trade networks?

Comment

It's not civ anymore?????
                      Define civ. Of course it's civ. It never was civ because of the things you said.

Civ is civ because you rule and expand a nation from 4000BC to the day of today. You invent technology, build armies, talk with your neighbours, fight wars, trade and expand your nation. Not the way you do it makes civ civ, it's the fact that you can do it which makes civ civ. And of course the fact that it's turn based.
                      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                        It's not civ anymore?????
                        Define civ. Of course it's civ. It never was civ because of the things you said.

Civ is civ because you rule and expand a nation from 4000BC to the day of today. You invent technology, build armies, talk with your neighbours, fight wars, trade and expand your nation. Not the way you do it makes civ civ, it's the fact that you can do it which makes civ civ. And of course the fact that it's turn based.
                        So CtP 1 and 2 are civ by those definitions.
                        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                        CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                        One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Of course that are. Now, whether they are good or not is a different thing.
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora

So CtP 1 and 2 are civ by those definitions.
                            yes indeed. I think there's almost no-one around here why denies that.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                              yes indeed. I think there's almost no-one around here why denies that.
                              I do.
                              Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                              CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                              One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora

I do.
                                That's what I said: "almost no one"

Comment

Working...
                                X