Just a thought regarding National traits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a thought regarding National traits

In Civ3 each nation was assigned specific traits - England was a seafaring nation 'cuz that trait was applied to that nation. IRL, Britain is a seafaring nation because it developed on an island and had little choice but to become one. This was a source of contention for those who wanted civilization to progress naturally instead of being pigeon-holed by a past history that wouldn't be repeated in a random game.

The advance info re CivIV indicates these national traits are reflections of the leaders themselves; how this will work is uncertain, and at this stage we do not know if traits such as "seafaring", "religious", etc. will return (I thought they were pretty cool ideas, albeit implemented imperfectly).

We also now know that units will gain particular abilities and traits by combat victory, and there are a multitude (41, I believe) of these abilities.

Furthermore, we know there are movies for wonders and, presumably, special events (presumably because there are but 30 wonders and something like 90 movies).

So... I'm wondering if, eventually, some intrepid and capable modder(s) would be able to change the game so that the civilization would be able to gain certain abilities and traits (pre-existing or added through modding) by achieving certain conditions and meeting certain goals.

For example, let us hypothesize a global circumnavigation "event" (such as was in CtP) that triggers a movie. Perhaps it can be modded so that the nation that first performs this event gains special nautical abilities, +2 movement or triremes not lost at sea (or whatever).

Obviously we'll have to wait to see what the game actually offers, and whether it can be manipulated in this fashion (and whether anyone is willing to undertake the task), but we may finally be able to have civilizations that evolve traits based on what they do through game history, rather than what those nations did in the real world.

Just a thought.

Maybe we won't even need mods, and they're already doing something like that. Who knows? 90 movies means they have three times as many movies as wonders. I figure intro, 5 win typpes, losing, founding of the 7 World Religions, plus wonders, gives 44. not quite half. They'll do something with all those movies, and circumnavigation-type events might be it.

Comment

Prophets Promoting perhaps?

Adds a few cutscenes into the game.

Significant inventions, or being the first nation to to so?
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Yeah. And maybe these great individuals, like Shakespeare or Plato, will get movies too.

Comment

Half the movies might be all quite small, also.

Otherwise, we will need some extra CDs!

Last edited by curtsibling; May 9, 2005, 04:23.
          http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
          http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling
            Half the movies might be all quite small, also.

Otherwise, we ill need some extra CDs!

One really interesting trend lately is to release games just for DVD-ROM. For example, Act of War was only available on DVD from what I saw. It could be that the time has come where we do not get multiple CDs but instead, one DVD.
            GC Magazine|Gamecatcher

Comment

They will lose a market if they release just on DVD.

All games should come out on DVD, but all computers should by default come with DVD players.

So we'll just have to wait a few more years or more.
              be free

Comment

I can see CIV4 being a 3 x CD package like RTW...

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

A DVD would be far superior.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I hope you can turn the movies of the secont time you play the game.

I also like the ide of trigered national abilities. Ie if you find and tame horses very early, you get a horse-riding trait. if you are close to water when you start you may get seafearing trate etc. But I do not think it is implented that way.

Comment

One thing you have to remember, is that Britain only developed as a seafaring nation in the last millenium. For the previous 3000 years britain was an island of invividual tribes, with absolutley no national identity.
                      It was only with the roman invasion that some kind of identity was acheived. This fell apart when the romans abandoned the province, and it wasn't then a single nation, let alone a seafaring one, until the Norman invasion.
                      And even then it wasn't until the reign of Elizabeth II that Britain had a fleet that could challenge the other seapowers of the day. Spain, Portuagal, France, Holland all had superior seapower until the 1800's.
                      All I'm asking is, could it be possible to gain all of the traits thoughout the game?
                      Hehe....burr.

Looshkin's Lair

Comment

To be close to water is no achievement, but if you are building lots of ships, exploring etc., then you'd have earned a trait.
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

That could work, same as if you focus on finacial benefits you could earn a trading trait, which allows a better return on resources that are traded of say +5% return on all trades.
                          Hehe....burr.

Looshkin's Lair

Comment

Exactly. I suppose the point of my post is that while I don't believe traits are used this way in CivIV, the tools should be there to remake the game so that it does.

Comment

Working...
                            X